If using the FileSystem API directly, is there any side effect i the
FileSystem instances (normally HDFS ones) are not being closed? Like
open sockets, open file handles, memory leaks, etc.

I'm using it from continuously running applications (webapps) so I
want to ensure I won't have any issue.

Normal usage pattern is getting a FileSystem instance using a JobConf,
doing something and then dropping the FS instance.

Thxs.

  • Raghu Angadi at Dec 19, 2007 at 6:36 pm
    DFS and LocalFS don't keep track of the files opened. I think you need
    to close all the files explicitly.

    Raghu.

    Alejandro Abdelnur wrote:
    If using the FileSystem API directly, is there any side effect i the
    FileSystem instances (normally HDFS ones) are not being closed? Like
    open sockets, open file handles, memory leaks, etc.

    I'm using it from continuously running applications (webapps) so I
    want to ensure I won't have any issue.

    Normal usage pattern is getting a FileSystem instance using a JobConf,
    doing something and then dropping the FS instance.

    Thxs.

groupcommon-dev @
categorieshadoop
postedDec 19, '07 at 8:49a