As the users of Hadoop ask for more stability and fewer release
upgrades to deal with, I think we should move the release cycle out
to 3 months from the current 2. I propose that we move the feature-
freeze date for 0.16 to the first week of January and 0.17 to first
week of April.

Thoughts?

-- Owen

Search Discussions

  • Doug Cutting at Nov 13, 2007 at 9:27 pm

    Owen O'Malley wrote:
    As the users of Hadoop ask for more stability and fewer release upgrades
    to deal with, I think we should move the release cycle out to 3 months
    from the current 2. I propose that we move the feature-freeze date for
    0.16 to the first week of January and 0.17 to first week of April.
    I'm okay with this. I don't think we should add 0.17 to Jira until
    around the time we freeze 0.16 though. The fewer active releases there
    are in Jira, the fewer mis-assigned issues we see.

    Doug
  • Nigel Daley at Nov 13, 2007 at 9:48 pm

    As the users of Hadoop ask for more stability and fewer release
    upgrades to deal with, I think we should move the release cycle out
    to 3 months from the current 2. I propose that we move the feature-
    freeze date for 0.16 to the first week of January and 0.17 to first
    week of April.
    +1

    Nige
  • Arun C Murthy at Nov 14, 2007 at 4:07 am

    As the users of Hadoop ask for more stability and fewer release
    upgrades to deal with, I think we should move the release cycle out
    to 3 months from the current 2. I propose that we move the feature-
    freeze date for 0.16 to the first week of January and 0.17 to first
    week of April.
    +1

    Somewhat related issue: Starting with 0.16.0 I propose we introduce the notion of 'Experimental Features' (all which are turned 'off' by default, of course) so that users could have early access to some features which they request/implement but haven't been soaked enough. One e.g. which comes to mind is: HADOOP-2076, where Christian proposes that the TTs monitor system resources and on detection of contention holds off asking for new tasks. Thoughts?

    Arun
    Thoughts?

    -- Owen

groupcommon-dev @