DefaultCodec works. Is there an existing bug report about the problem with
GZipCodec? If not, I'll create one to track the problem.

-----Original Message-----
From: Owen O'Malley
Sent: Monday, October 23, 2006 11:24 AM
To: hadoop-dev@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Error in reading block compressed sequence file

Arun's attempt to send this bounced, so I'll try...

-- Owen
From: Arun C Murthy <arunc@yahoo-inc.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 23:41:30 +0530
To: hadoop-dev@lucene.apache.org
On Sun, Oct 22, 2006 at 04:31:23PM -0700, Runping Qi wrote:

I got an error when I tried to read a blocked compressed sequence
file I
just created. Anybody can offer any clues?

The file was created through a SequenceFile.Writer object:

The writer was created as follows:

FileSystem fs = FileSystem.getNamed
("local", conf);
SequenceFile.Writer theWriter =
SequenceFile.createWriter(fs, conf, new Path(outP), Text.class,
ULTRecordJT.class,
CompressionType.BLOCK, new GzipCodec());
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You are using the GzipCodec which (for now, should change with
HADOOP-538) won't work with SequenceFiles. Can you replace that
with org.apache.hadoop.io.compress.DefaultCodec and give it a whirl?

The gzip basically is the zlib+headers, while the DefaultCodec is
zlib only... so compression should be identical but for the headers.

thanks,
Arun

groupcommon-dev @
categorieshadoop