I've been working on the C api for the DFS client (via JNI) for a couple of weeks now. Please find a rough, first-cut attached for your reviews/comments ...

Status quo:
a) Implements all of the apis Devraj (ddas@yahoo-inc.com) had posted to this list a while ago - a few enhancements are pending. E.g. need to make CLASSPATH configurable via a configfile while initializing JNI etc.
b) There is a small test-suite for the same - though it isn't very comprehensive right now. This will change soon enough while I continue testing; especially hdfsCopy and hdfsMove need more testing with Local/Distributed FileSystem combinations.
c) Critical point: I have this working against hadoop-0.1.0 (the latest - 0.2.0 wasn't out when I started on this) and have made sure the differences between 0.1.0 and 0.2.0 are contained in very small regions. Once I finish some more testing I'll start porting this to work against 0.2.0 (specifically, I need to change the JNI code which uses java.io.File to use org.apache.hadoop.fs.Path).

I'll be working to get this ready for a stable patch to hadoop asap.

thanks,
Arun

groupcommon-dev @
categorieshadoop