After a bit of digging and failure trying to read the message body of a
GMail message, I thought I'd report what I've found in case someone can add
something.

    - GMail messages are kept in the "messages" table of an SQLite database
    named in the form of mailstore.name@domain.com.db, in
    /data/data/com.google.android.gm/databases (requires root to access).
    - This table has three message body related fields:
    - "snippet", which is a short, plain text excerpt of the message body
       - "body", which contains the HTML text of the body if it's short
       (only a few words?)
       - "bodycompressed", which contains a compressed version of the body
       if the body isn't very short.
    - Either "body" or "bodycompressed" is used, not both.
    - Almost every message will be longer than will fit in "body".
    - "bodycompressed" can be extracted from the database into a file and
    converted to binary file, but I can find no archive utility that can expand
    it.

This is a far as I can go without knowing how to extract the body text.

Any ideas?

I guess we're either stuck with "snippet" or K-9.

-Brian

  • Nanobrain at Mar 13, 2014 at 5:35 pm
    The only thing I found is this python script:
    http://code.activestate.com/recipes/578106-android-gmail-export-messages-from-sqlite-database/
[...]

  • Brian Rosenthal at Mar 13, 2014 at 5:49 pm
    I saw that also, but didn't see that anyone actually tried it. Anyone
    familiar with Python?
    The only thing I found is this python script:
    http://code.activestate.com/recipes/578106-android-gmail-export-messages-from-sqlite-database/<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fcode.activestate.com%2Frecipes%2F578106-android-gmail-export-messages-from-sqlite-database%2F&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNFw2EhsxCV-MPmzWcDz5K7WFC5MUA>
[...]

  • M3741 at Mar 19, 2014 at 6:48 pm
    That python looks legit to me. It's pretty simple but I haven't tried it
    and I have no idea what the compressed version of the body looks like so I
    can't guarantee that it'll decompress it properly.
[...]

  • Steve Harvey at Mar 19, 2014 at 7:41 pm
    Not sure what you goal is, but script.google.com allows you to write a
    script from which you can trigger an auto remote url. You can set event
    based triggers to scripts in google docs or time based for docs or gmail. I
    have a script that runs every minute and processes new mail for this
    purpose. Super easy and their tutorials are great. Google scripts+auto
    remote+tasker is an awesome combo. Hopefully this helps.

    Steve
[...]

  • Brian Rosenthal at Mar 19, 2014 at 9:07 pm
    I'd like to have select emails read to me through my speaker phone in my
    car. I have set this up with text messages and find it very handy.
[...]

  • Brian Rosenthal at Mar 19, 2014 at 9:06 pm
    I've installed SL4A, but I haven't had time to try it and see.