Hi all

I´ve been doing some experiments with Storm. Spout reads from a file and
emits tuples. So far I can see in the UI that at the first 30 seconds or so
the Spout emits around 2.8 million tuples and at the same time the next
Bolt acked 1.7 million tuples, but on the next 60 seconds the Spout has
emitted 8.9 million tuples and next Bolt acked 8.1 million tuples.
It seems that at the beginning the Spout emits but the Bolt cant manage
this arrival rate but after some time the bolt can manage the arrival rate.

Have you ever seen this behavior at the beginning?
Is there something that Storm is doing at the beginning? Is it related to
the UI info?

Thanks in advice

  • Philip O'Toole at May 14, 2013 at 10:34 pm
    What are the GC settings for the worker JVM? Too low an initial heap
    can cause slow start-up times on JVMs.

    http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E13150_01/jrockit_jvm/jrockit/geninfo/diagnos/tune_startup.html

    On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 3:20 PM, Cornelio Inigo
    I´ve been doing some experiments with Storm. Spout reads from a file and
    emits tuples. So far I can see in the UI that at the first 30 seconds or so
    the Spout emits around 2.8 million tuples and at the same time the next Bolt
    acked 1.7 million tuples, but on the next 60 seconds the Spout has emitted
    8.9 million tuples and next Bolt acked 8.1 million tuples.
    It seems that at the beginning the Spout emits but the Bolt cant manage this
    arrival rate but after some time the bolt can manage the arrival rate.

    Have you ever seen this behavior at the beginning?
    Is there something that Storm is doing at the beginning? Is it related to
    the UI info?

    Thanks in advice

  • Cornelio Iñigo at May 14, 2013 at 11:17 pm
    Thanks Philip

    Did you mean this parameter? "worker.childopts". Parameters of storm are as
    in defaults, and for this parameter is "-Xmx768m"
    If not, how can I check this GC settings?

[...]

  • Philip O'Toole at May 14, 2013 at 11:59 pm
    Yes, that is what I mean. Set it in your storm.yam file.

    Philip

    On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 4:17 PM, Cornelio Iñigo
[...]

  • Philip O'Toole at May 15, 2013 at 12:00 am
    You can confirm your settings via the Storm UI, and examining the
    worker JVM process as it is running on the Supervisor node.