I have a topology which works fine running with one supervisor. I can set
parallelism for any of my bolts to > 1 and it works fine.

I would like to expand this to run as a cluster with more than one
supervisor but I am running into trouble.

When I run a second supervisor by setting up a cluster according to the
instructions
at https://github.com/nathanmarz/storm/wiki/Setting-up-a-Storm-cluster, all
of my tuples fail. ie. The only thing I see is my spout's fail() method
getting called. I also see this message in the worker logs:

"Received invalid messages for unknown tasks. Dropping..."

Note this message does not appear under one supervisor (functioning
correctly) operation.

I can see both supervisors in the storm ui. I can also deploy and kill my
topology from either supervisor.

Thanks very much for any ideas on this problem.

  • Martin Kleppmann at May 8, 2013 at 12:43 am
    What serialization are you using for messages? The error message suggests
    that perhaps messages are getting sent to the wrong task. To hazard a
    guess, that could happen if your hashCode implementation is unstable. (That
    may be a red herring though...)

    I have a topology which works fine running with one supervisor. I can set
    parallelism for any of my bolts to > 1 and it works fine.

    I would like to expand this to run as a cluster with more than one
    supervisor but I am running into trouble.

    When I run a second supervisor by setting up a cluster according to the
    instructions at
    https://github.com/nathanmarz/storm/wiki/Setting-up-a-Storm-cluster, all
    of my tuples fail. ie. The only thing I see is my spout's fail() method
    getting called. I also see this message in the worker logs:

    "Received invalid messages for unknown tasks. Dropping..."

    Note this message does not appear under one supervisor (functioning
    correctly) operation.

    I can see both supervisors in the storm ui. I can also deploy and kill my
    topology from either supervisor.

    Thanks very much for any ideas on this problem.

  • Jon at May 8, 2013 at 1:11 pm
    I am using the default (Kryo?). If your theory were correct, would I be
    seeing failures for any topology? I tried the exclamation topology as
    well, which seems to work ok across more than one supervisor.
[...]

  • Michael Rose at May 8, 2013 at 3:08 pm
    Make sure your hashCodes are implemented in a sane manner.

    Are you using any byte arrays? (byte[])

    --
    Michael Rose (@Xorlev (https://twitter.com/xorlev))
    Senior Platform Engineer, FullContact (http://fullcontact.com/)