Hello,

i am new to the storm framework and have a basic question. i will describe
my scenario first --

i'm invoking a servlet through Ajax and the servlet in turn builds a Storm
topology and submits it to a cluster, as part of server-side processing in
my MVC application. The Bolt, as part of it's processing, converts
geo-spatial data into JAXB objects. I want the Bolt to return the processed
JAXB object back to the client.

Questions:

1. Is is a valid scenario to use Storm as part of server-side processing
with a view of returning processed data back to the client?
2. If yes, how can i make a BaseRichBolt's extended method execute(Tuple)
to return a processed object (i see it's return type is void). Is there any
alternate class i can use here?

Again, i am quite new to the Storm framework and would appreciate any
information here.

Thanks
Niranjan

  • Nathan Marz at Mar 9, 2013 at 9:55 am
    Sounds like you want to use DRPC:

    This is the old API:
    https://github.com/nathanmarz/storm/wiki/Distributed-RPC

    You can also do DRPC with Trident:
    https://github.com/nathanmarz/storm/wiki/Trident-tutorial

    On Sat, Mar 9, 2013 at 1:17 AM, Niranjan Shukla
[...]

    Twitter: @nathanmarz
    http://nathanmarz.com

  • Niranjan Shukla at Mar 9, 2013 at 11:26 am
    Great, thanks!