Hi all.
I'm developing a stream processing system based on TestTopology class in
storm-kestrel project.
Though I can consume items in kestrel queue using KestrelThriftSpout,
tuples of the items contains extra four or five characters in front of the
value.

For example "somestring" is data in queue but data in the tuple on
KestrelThriftSpout is like the following:
"004, 008, 042, 0xy, s, o, m, e, s, t, r, i, n, g"
Heading four characters are the extra ones represented in oct, 0xy varies
with data length.
0xy become two characters when the data length is long.

How can I erase or suppress these extra characters?

Some environments settings in pom.xml are:

<groupId>storm.kestrel</groupId>
<artifactId>storm-kestrel</artifactId>
<version>0.0.1-SNAPSHOT</version>

<dependency>
<groupId>storm</groupId>
<artifactId>storm</artifactId>
<version>0.8.2</version>
<!-- keep storm out of the jar-with-dependencies -->
<scope>provided</scope>
</dependency>

<dependency>
<groupId>storm</groupId>
<artifactId>storm-kestrel</artifactId>
<version>0.7.2-SNAPSHOT</version>
</dependency>

  • Tatsuya Sasaki at Mar 8, 2013 at 6:29 am
    I found the reason for the extra bytes..
    That is not a problem of storm or kestrel.
    I'm using a ruby client with ruby memcache library as a producer program.
    By default the library serializes sending data by Marshal.dump like this:
    irb(main):001:0> Marshal.dump("a")
    => "\004\b\"\006a"
    We can see formatting characters(\004\b\"\006) are added.
    I called these "extra characters" on previous post.
    Using ruby memchache library with "raw=true" option suppresses the
    formatting characters.