Hello,

I run Storm 0.8.1 and I have a trident topology which has a function
'urlReach'. I submit my topology to a local cluster as follows:
List<String> dprcServers = new ArrayList<String>();
dprcServers.add("localhost");
conf.put(Config.DRPC_SERVERS, dprcServers);
conf.put(Config.DRPC_PORT, "3772");
conf.put(Config.STORM_CLUSTER_MODE, new String("distributed"));
cluster.submitTopology("urlReach", conf, buildTopology());

Everything works fine when creating a DRPCClient in java, but unfortunately
I cannot say the same for JavaScript.

I have downloaded and installed thrift 0.7.0 from
https://github.com/nathanmarz/thrift. I then generate the gen-js with the
following command:
*thrift -r --gen js storm.thrift*
Then in my HTML code I add all gen-js files (DistributedRPC.js,
storm_types.js, DistributedRPCInvocations.js, Nimbus.js) and thrift.js. My
JavaScript code that calls the topology is the following:

var transport = new Thrift.Transport("http://localhost:3772");
var protocol = new Thrift.Protocol(transport);
var client = new DistributedRPCClient(protocol);

try{
var result = client.execute("urlReach",
"http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-123");
console.log('works');
}
catch(e){
console.log(e);
}

First POST to the localhost:3772 gives me a freeze - looks like its waiting
a response from the server but not getting it.
Every subsequent request gives me:
In Chrome: NETWORK_ERR XMLHTTPRequestException 101 -
Object.Thrift.Transport.flush.
In Firefox: NS_ERROR_FAILURE

I guess I am specifying a wrong parameter to Thrift.Transport.

Any ideas??
Appreciate your help.

Michael Vogiatzis

Search Discussions

  • Mr Chris K at Dec 31, 2012 at 7:41 pm
    I'm trying to connect from Javascript as well (albeit Node rather than
    browser side JS), if I find a solution I'll post it here.

    Is your problem related to the type of transport being used? I see
    node-thrift mandates the use of TFramedTransport (see
    https://npmjs.org/package/node-thrift), in their case this is to make it
    work on non-blocking servers.

    Chris
[...]

  • Nathan Marz at Jan 5, 2013 at 7:26 am
    Yes, you have to use the framed transport in order for things to work.

    https://github.com/nathanmarz/**thrift<https://github.com/nathanmarz/thrift>.
    I then generate the gen-js with the following command:
    *thrift -r --gen js storm.thrift*
    Then in my HTML code I add all gen-js files (DistributedRPC.js,
    storm_types.js, DistributedRPCInvocations.js, Nimbus.js) and thrift.js. My
    JavaScript code that calls the topology is the following:

    var transport = new Thrift.Transport("http://**localhost:3772<http://localhost:3772>
    ");
    var protocol = new Thrift.Protocol(transport);
    var client = new DistributedRPCClient(protocol)**;

    try{
    var result = client.execute("urlReach", "http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-*
    *england-london-123 <http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-123>");
    console.log('works');
    }
    catch(e){
    console.log(e);
    }

    --
    Twitter: @nathanmarz
    http://nathanmarz.com

    First I start up the Storm process on the box using storm drpc on the
    Terminal - this seems to be the bare minimum that Storm needs to be able to
    accept and run my DRPC topology (though Nathan has posted a better version
    which starts Nimbus etc. as well).

    In Storm I have a config very similar to yours:

    Config conf = new Config;

    // drpc.servers is expected to be an array of strings

    List<String> dprcServers = new ArrayList<String>();

    dprcServers.add("localhost");

    conf.put(Config.DRPC_SERVERS, dprcServers);

    conf.put(Config.DRPC_PORT, "3772");

    conf.put(Config.STORM_CLUSTER_MODE, "distributed");
    Then I define my topology and all that jazz, and finally submit the cluster
    - in remote mode, not local, because of what we're trying to do.

    Node program (where 'thrift' = node-thrift package):
    var thrift = require('thrift');
    var DRPC = require('./gen-nodejs/DistributedRPC');

    var stormConn = thrift.createConnection('localhost', 3772);
    var stormClient = thrift.createClient(DRPC, stormConn);
    thriftClient.execute("name of your drpc function", JSON.stringify(data to
    send), function(err, response) {
    // callback
    });

    I thought initially that the execute call was synchronous, but evidently
    not. Also found that I needed to stringify any JSON data I was sending to
    make sure it reached the Storm cluster intact.

    Try this on a local setup and see if it works. If not it might be because
    this can't be executed in browser-side JS.

[...]

  • Mr Chris K at Jan 14, 2013 at 12:44 pm
    (Just noticed a minor fail in the above...)

    The thriftClient.execute call is inside another function in my code, which
    has a thriftClient as an argument, hence the different name. So the above
    code should probably be

    var stormClient = thrift.createClient(DRPC, stormConn);
    stormClient.execute("name of your drpc function", JSON.stringify(data to
    send), function(err, response) {
    // callback
    });
[...]

  • Michael Vogiatzis at Jan 14, 2013 at 1:35 pm
    Thanks for the info, I will try using node-thrift and the above code.

    My solution just now calls a web server (using Spark micro web framework)
    which calls my drpc trident topologies from Java. Then I return the results
    to the webpage. It works but I'd prefer a direct JS call.

    Cheers,
    Michael Vogiatzis
[...]

  • Raghu K at Feb 6, 2013 at 2:51 am
    Hello,

    I had faced a similar problem couple of months back and I had manually
    assembled a module together and have been wanting to publish
    this module. Now its published on git and npmjs. It's called : *node-drpc*.

    All you have to do is : *npm install node-drpc*

    In your javascript file :

    // Begin code

    var request = require('node-drpc');
    var nodeDrpcClient = new NodeDRPCClient( hostName, portNo, timeout);
    nodeDrpcClient.execute( Storm function Name, Storm function parameter as JSON string, callback);

    //End code

    That's it. Pls, suggest me if you have any questions or if any
    improvements could be done to node-drpc.

    Thanks,
    Raghu
[...]

  • Quinton Anderson at Feb 6, 2013 at 10:31 am
    Thanks guys,

    this is very useful!