Ever since I started at Spree, the spree_paypal_express extension has been
somewhat a black sheep of the officially supported Spree extensions. By
that I mean that nobody wants to touch it because the code behind it is so
incredibly ugly and the logic is rather confusing to boot.

It's now been 1 year and 10 months since I started, and
spree_paypal_express has barely changed. It's actually *depressing* for me
to see people file issues on the GitHub project or report them on
spree-user because I know it would be a huge cost (time-wise) to go
investigate it and fix it. Since I don't have the time, I can't help people
and that's what makes me sad. Helping people be happy when using Spree is
what makes me happy.

Recently, I've been taking time out of my day to work on a new
spree_paypal_express extension using absolutely nothing from the old
extension. Today, I was able to walk through a checkout from start to
finish using this extension.

If you want/need Spree and PayPal Express to work together, then *please
beta test this extension!!: *
https://github.com/radar/better_spree_paypal_express.

Ideally, once this extension is considered "stable" then it will replace
the spree/spree_paypal_express extension completely. The quickest way we're
going to get this extension to that point is if you all try it out and try
to break it.

Please help me, help you not have to deal with PayPal.

Thanks,
Ryan Bigg

Search Discussions

  • Nate Lowrie at Jul 23, 2013 at 4:59 pm
    This looks great! Will be testing it soon. Should we provide feedback here
    or post issues on GitHub?

    Regards,

    Nate
[...]

  • Jdutil at Jul 23, 2013 at 7:41 pm
    Thanks Ryan a rewrite was long overdue.
[...]

  • Ryan Bigg at Jul 23, 2013 at 10:32 pm
    Nate: please report issues on the repo's issue page. That's the best way
    for me to track progress on this.

    com/radar/better_spree_paypal_**express<https://github.com/radar/better_spree_paypal_express>
    .

    --

    Ryan Bigg
    Community Manager
[...]

  • Ryan Bigg at Jul 25, 2013 at 11:02 am
    When people test it and let me know a production transaction goes through successfully!
[...]

  • Allen W. at Aug 13, 2013 at 11:35 pm
    Hey Ryan,

    For some reason the line items are not transferring to paypal express. For
    instance when I get redirected to paypal, typically you would see product
    name, tax amount (if applicable), any kind of promotions, etc.. on
    different lines. However, all I'm seeing is just "Goods from xxxxx" with
    the total amount. (xxxxx) represents the store name. Is there a setting
    I'm missing or has this feature not been implemented to transfer cart line
    items to paypal?

    Just wondering if others are experiencing this?

    Thanks!
    -Allen

    On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 8:41 PM, Pedro Alonso <pedr...@gmail.com<javascript:>
[...]

  • Ryan Bigg at Aug 14, 2013 at 12:09 am
    Allen: please create a new issue on the repo with exact steps to reproduce it.

    Thank you.
[...]

  • Allen W. at Aug 14, 2013 at 3:01 am
    Thanks Ryan... Issue created.

    On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 9:35 AM, Allen W. <allen.w...@gmail.com<javascript:>
[...]