I am considering to develop an e-commerce shop for auto parts with Spree.
One special feature for an auto parts shop is that every product has
vehicle compatibilities list.

For example, auto part 'A' is compatible with
- Toyota, Camry, 2000
- Toyota, Camry, 2001
- Toyota, Camry, 2002
- Toyota, Corolla, 2000
- Toyota, Corolla, 2001
- Toyota, Corolla, 2002

Usually a product has about 100 compatibilities but sometimes it's more
than 1000.

A customer should be able to search for parts for her car.

What do you think is the best way to implement that?

Here's what I think:
Taxonomy could be used.
However, making a hierarchy for all combination is not practical.
Making 3 taxonomies for Make, Model, Year seems to be one option.
Does Spree support filtering with combined taxonomies?

Thanks.

Sam

Search Discussions

  • Weston Platter at Jun 14, 2013 at 6:28 pm
    Hi Sam -- I'd suggest describing part compatability in a *Spree::Property*,
    which *:has_many Spree::Product* (s) through *Spree::ProductProperty*. I'd
    then try to create a Solr/Elasticsearch feature to specifically target
    vehicle compatibilities in the Spree::Property table when searching for
    Spree::Taxon or Spree::Product.

    Happy to talk more if you want.

[...]

  • Sam Kong at Jun 14, 2013 at 6:35 pm
    Hi Weston,

    Thanks for the suggestion.
    Actually a product has many compatibilities so I don't think
    Spree::ProductProperty is an easy way to do that.
    Also, compatibility info is hierarchical.
    So once a customer selects a make, we have to provide models for that make,
    and so on.

    Sam

[...]

  • Weston Platter at Jun 14, 2013 at 6:56 pm
    Hmm, true.

    You could roll your own Spree::ProductCompatible object, which would have
    make/model/part_range to enable hierarchical compatibility searching. Just
    throwing out ideas here.

    Did you have other ideas for how to model compatibility?

    On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 11:28 AM, Weston Platter <weston...@gmail.com<javascript:>
[...]

  • Nate Lowrie at Jun 19, 2013 at 12:45 am
    I second rolling your own model. Rails makes it so easy to do and I think you could have it up and running in a few days.

    Regards,

    Nate

groupspree-user @
categoriesrubyonrails