DOH! Said really loud while smacking ones forehead!

It states that:
At this point, if you are using spree_auth_devise you will need to change
this line in config/initializers/spree.rb:

Spree.user_class = "Spree::LegacyUser"

To this:

Spree.user_class = "Spree::User"

And since that was I wanted to test I should do that ... in the dummy app
generated by rake test_app in my extension!
So, if anybody else hits this you can learn from my many hours of stupid
failing tests.