Sorry Ryan! Time old problem, don't write emails before you finish your
first coffee of the morning...

What I mean is how to make these soft 404 pages become a real 404 error or
worse case that the soft 404 page redirects with a 301 redirect back to the
homepage.

Hope this makes sense this time!
Sam