Let me start with this scenario. I have two products: A and B which have no
variants.

*Master Prices:*

    - A: $5
    - B: $10

*Shipping Categories*

    - A is part of the Shipping Category "Light"
    - B is part of the Shipping Category "Heavy"

*Customer Choice*
The customer buys 3 A's and 1 B. And now we have to think about shipping
methods.

*Shipping Restrictions*
This is the way that shipping works for A and B:

A's are very light and 4 of the can be sent per "bag"; and each bag costs
$7 for me to send. This means that I can setup a flexi-rate shipping with
(7, 0, 4) as the options. Meaning that the customer pays $7 in shipping for
every four that they buy.
B's are very heavy and big and each one needs to be shipped independently
for $15 each. This means I want a Flat Rate per item for B's at $15 each.

*The Problem*
Now here is the problem, how do I setup a Shipping Method to make this
possible. Currently, if the user only adds A's to the cart it works fine
because I can setup a shipping method for the "Light" category and mandate
that "All" items in the cart must match that price. And if they only add
B's then I can do the same thing for B's. But if the user adds both A's and
B's to the cart then I cannot figure out how to set this system up.

Can you please let me know how I might go about setting this system up in
spree?

*Guessing Potential Solutions*
At it's base, I want something like:

    - Multiple Shipping Methods per Order
    - or, Multiple Calculators per Shipping Method that vary on Category of
    item in the order.
    - or, something else again that you can think of.

I could use a hand here figuring out how to make this happen, I don't mind
installing extensions if this functionality is not provided in core Spree.
Or am I thinking about this completely wrong and misunderstanding the
Shipping functionality in Spree?

Thankyou very much for your time,
Robert

--
Don't miss SpreeConf on May 20-21: http://spreeconf.com
Spree is hiring: http://spreecommerce.com/careers

Search Discussions

  • Daniel Oliveira at May 22, 2013 at 6:48 pm
    Hi, i have the same problem but in my case i need a solution for 1.3.stable
    version of Spree. The lastest version of spree has the solution, but how
    can i resolve this problem with versions of spree? In my store the
    shipping step dont exist.