My application worked fine until I 'cap deployed' some minor changes
(contact info on a contact page). After I deployed the changes no product
images would load. . .

- This was an issue with the images not being stored in a folder that is
shared between all releases - I couldn't find a perfect solution to this,
so I just manually moved all the images from the old folder into the new
folder and my images became visible again.

Now I went to try to delete some images from old products and found they
cannot be deleted. :

- Errno::EACCES (Permission denied -
/home/spree/my_app/releases/20130402142243/public/spree/products/46/original/11_web1.JPG):.
. .

I also attempted to upload new images and they fail with the following
error saved to my production.log:

- Errno::EACCES (Permission denied -
/home/spree/my_app/releases/20130402142243/public/spree/products/63):. . .
I also get the "We're sorry, but something went wrong." message in the
web browser when this happens.

I feel the problem may be related to one of these three topics:

1. This Discussion<https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!searchin/spree-user/delete$20images/spree-user/Y1ajmEDGOr8/uGFGnESoaz4J> stated
that the resolution was to change from 'test' environment to 'production'
but I don't think that is my issue (although I'm not 100% certain how to
check that I'm not running in test) (I know SSL is working, and test
doesn't have SSL working, so I 'should' be in production, I think.

2. There are many references to properly 'sym-linking' the images folder
so one does not have issues when deploying updates, but I am ignorant of a
clean way to resolve this issue and I am unsure that this would actually
resolve the issue as I am currently able to 'view' product images that
already existed (after moving the images to the new folder).

3. I have seen references to 'permission issues<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/spree-user/Y1ajmEDGOr8/bgOrGYSNWMgJ>'
but no discussion about how to solve those issues. I have a feeling my
issue is somehow related to these permission issues (since my error message
is about permissions) and the above symlink problem.

What information do I need to provide to help get a clear solution to this
problem?

--
Don't miss SpreeConf on May 20-21: http://spreeconf.com
Spree is hiring: http://spreecommerce.com/careers

Search Discussions

  • Ryan Bigg at Apr 11, 2013 at 6:40 am
    Hi Jason,

    I was going to point you at our Deploying to Ubuntu guide (
    http://guides.spreecommerce.com/deploying_on_ubuntu.html) which I'm pretty
    sure covers this, but it actually doesn't. I will leave a note to update it.

    What you want to be doing is creating a directory outside of the current
    release's directory called "shared" and storing the images there under
    subdirectories "spree/products". Upon deployment, your deployment script
    would symlink that directory -- probably at ../shared/spree/products,
    relative to the release path -- to "public/spree/products" so that all your
    photos are still there.

    As for your permission issues, I don't know why they are happening.
    System-related issues are very hard to debug over email and so I can't
    offer an opinion here. chmod'ding to 777 though sounds like a Bad Idea(tm)
    and I would work out what the root of the problem is before going nuclear
    on it.

    Would it be appropriate for me to chmod 777 my
    /home/spree/my_app/releases/**20130402142243/public/spree/**products/
    directory in this situation? Or would that be harmful in some way?

    .

[...]

    Community Manager
    Spree Commerce, Inc.

    Register now for SpreeConf
    May 20-21 in Washington, D.C.
    http://spreeconf.com

    --
    Don't miss SpreeConf on May 20-21: http://spreeconf.com
    Spree is hiring: http://spreecommerce.com/careers
  • Nate Lowrie at Apr 11, 2013 at 12:24 pm
    Jason,

    To elaborate on Ryan's answer,

    - Capistrano creates a releases directory on setup
    - When you do a deploy, Capistrano add a new release to the releases
    directory and symlinks the directory as "current" on the same level as the
    releases directory
    - The Best Practice is to create a folder called shared on that same
    level.
    - This folder should contain all the files that are not checked into
    source control that you want to keep between releases including logs,
    database.yml file, images and uploads.
    - When Capistrano deploys a new release, we add a command in the
    deploy script to symlink the files in the shared folder into the
    appropriate places on the releases folder.

    Below is the command I use to do this. Note that you might not need the
    .htaccess move depending upon your server setup. Also note that this takes
    care of any permissions issues. Because the image files are never actually
    moved or copied, once you get permissions sorted out on them you should
    never need to touched permissions again. For getting the current ones to
    work, I would chmod them and the directory as 666 for now. Don't apply 777
    because you don't want to give your pictures execute permissions.

    after 'deploy:update_code' do run <<-CMD cd #{release_path} && ln -nfs #{shared_path}/config/database.yml #{release_path}/config/database.yml && ln -nfs #{shared_path}/spree #{release_path}/public/spree && ln -nfs #{shared_path}/public/.htaccess #{release_path}/public/.htaccess CMDend

    Hope this helps.

    Regards,

    Nate

    On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 1:01 PM, Jason Rylance <ecn...@gmail.com<javascript:>
[...]

  • Jason Rylance at Apr 11, 2013 at 3:06 pm
    Thank you for the details - very helpful. Hopefully it helps others too as
    there appears to be nothing as descriptive on the subject on this mailing
    list. Thank you for your contribution to the community.
[...]

  • Ryan Bigg at Apr 16, 2013 at 2:25 am
    Just a note: I've added a section on symlinking the images to the new
    Ubuntu guide:
    https://github.com/spree/spree-guides/commit/f426616d02e052dc28ab885ced19c2b883b2dbaf
    .

    http://guides.spreecommerce.**com/deploying_on_ubuntu.html<http://guides.spreecommerce.com/deploying_on_ubuntu.html>)
    which I'm pretty sure covers this, but it actually doesn't. I will leave a
    note to update it.

    What you want to be doing is creating a directory outside of the current
    release's directory called "shared" and storing the images there under
    subdirectories "spree/products". Upon deployment, your deployment script
    would symlink that directory -- probably at ../shared/spree/products,
    relative to the release path -- to "public/spree/products" so that all your
    photos are still there.

    As for your permission issues, I don't know why they are happening.
    System-related issues are very hard to debug over email and so I can't
    offer an opinion here. chmod'ding to 777 though sounds like a Bad Idea(tm)
    and I would work out what the root of the problem is before going nuclear
    on it.

    Would it be appropriate for me to chmod 777 my /home/spree/my_app/**
    releases/**20130402142243/**public/spree/**products/ directory in this

    Spree is hiring: http://spreecommerce.com/**careers<http://spreecommerce.com/careers>

    --

    Ryan Bigg
    Community Manager

    Register now for SpreeConf
    May 20-21 in Washington, D.C.
    http://spreeconf.com
    --
    Don't miss SpreeConf on May 20-21: http://spreeconf.com
    Spree is hiring: http://spreecommerce.com/careers

    --

    Ryan Bigg
    Community Manager
    Spree Commerce, Inc.

    Register now for SpreeConf
    May 20-21 in Washington, D.C.
    http://spreeconf.com

    --
    Don't miss SpreeConf on May 20-21: http://spreeconf.com
    Spree is hiring: http://spreecommerce.com/careers
  • Jason Rylance at Apr 11, 2013 at 3:05 pm
    Yeah, I lived that Ubuntu guide for a while - good in other places though.
    Seems to be a very important bit of information that is missing.

    Thank you for the information otherwise.

groupspree-user @
categoriesrubyonrails
postedApr 10, '13 at 5:36p
activeApr 16, '13 at 2:25a