Hi, I would like to test out spree and I have Ruby on Rails on my cpanel.
As I am new to this, is there a guide to walk me through the installation
process? Would the process be the same as the one I find in guides? Thanks.

  • Andrew Hooker at Mar 21, 2013 at 1:53 pm
    The first thing to do is find out what version of Ruby and Rails are available… cpanel installations tend to be very old versions. It looks like http://docs.cpanel.net/twiki/bin/view/AllDocumentation/RubyonRails/DeployingRuby should give you a decent idea of the cpanel specific stuff you need to do, although you may run into additional issues.

    ---
    Andrew Hooker
    Support Engineer
    Spree Commerce, Inc.

    Register now for SpreeConf
    May 20-21 in Washington, D.C.
    http://spreeconf.com
    Hi, I would like to test out spree and I have Ruby on Rails on my cpanel. As I am new to this, is there a guide to walk me through the installation process? Would the process be the same as the one I find in guides? Thanks.

  • Bernie at Mar 21, 2013 at 2:09 pm
    Thanks Andrew, if that's the case, what is the best way to deploy Spree? I
    already have two carts but would like to test drive spree as well.

    On Mar 21, 2013, at 8:45 AM, Bernie <tree...@gmail.com <javascript:>>
    Hi, I would like to test out spree and I have Ruby on Rails on my cpanel.
    As I am new to this, is there a guide to walk me through the installation
    process? Would the process be the same as the one I find in guides? Thanks.

  • Andrew Hooker at Mar 21, 2013 at 2:15 pm
    You can test drive it locally, or you can deploy to a free heroku instance using the instructions at http://guides.spreecommerce.com/deploying_on_heroku.html. Have you used a sandbox, available from spreecommerce.com ? It won't allow you to install extensions, etc. but at least will give you a feel for it out of the box.
    ---
    Andrew Hooker
    Support Engineer
    Spree Commerce, Inc.

    Register now for SpreeConf
    May 20-21 in Washington, D.C.
    http://spreeconf.com
[...]

  • Nate Lowrie at Mar 21, 2013 at 3:04 pm
    Bernie,

    I second testing it locally or using the demo account. For what it's worth
    I don't have me 3 spree stores on the cPanel install at all.

    On Mar 21, 2013, at 9:09 AM, Bernie <tree...@gmail.com <javascript:>>
[...]

  • Ibrahim Quayum at Jun 20, 2013 at 10:19 am
    Is anyone here who could help me to install spree in my cPanel
    Thanks
  • Ryan Bigg at Jun 21, 2013 at 12:19 am
    Ibrahim,

    I would strongly advise against installing any Ruby on Rails application
    using cPanel. As Andrew stated earlier in the thread, both the Ruby and
    Rails versions provided by cPanel installations are typically very old. As
    such, the latest versions of Spree that would run on cPanel are currently
    no longer supported by the Spree Core Team.

    As the alternative, I would recommend getting a VPS from a company such as
    Linode (http://linode.com), Digital Ocean (http://digitalocean.com) or OVH (
    http://ovh.ie) and installing Spree on that. We have a "Deploying to
    Heroku" guide specifically built for situations like that:
    http://guides.spreecommerce.com/developer/ubuntu.html