I'm upgrading an "old" store from 0.70 to 1.3 and I'm starting working on
multi language solution. In the old store I've used globalize_spree and a
lot of custom code. Now I've tested on some simple store the
spree_multi_language extension that seem works, but also seem not
maintained.
Some time in the past it was a candidate for became an official extension
but now seem not be the case, in a previous post Brian wrote that
localization would be integrated in the future (after spree 2.0) in
spree_I18n gem and Ryan wrote " I would recommend looking into how to
customize Spree to add these translations in using the Globalize3 gem".
So I ask myself if I should go with (a fork?) of spree_multi_language or go
all custom or what.
Any advise is welcome.
Thanks.

  • Nate Lowrie at Mar 20, 2013 at 12:34 pm
    Matteo,

    Remember that Ryan's message was in regards to localizing content like
    product descriptions. In terms of localizing the text strings that spree
    uses for labels and throughout the site, spree_I18n already does that well.
    Since Spree_I18n is an official extension and going to be heavily developed
    going forward, my suggestion is to fork it and add what you need for
    content translation via the Gloablize3 gem.

    Regards,

    Nate
    I'm upgrading an "old" store from 0.70 to 1.3 and I'm starting working on
    multi language solution. In the old store I've used globalize_spree and a
    lot of custom code. Now I've tested on some simple store the
    spree_multi_language extension that seem works, but also seem not
    maintained.
    Some time in the past it was a candidate for became an official extension
    but now seem not be the case, in a previous post Brian wrote that
    localization would be integrated in the future (after spree 2.0) in
    spree_I18n gem and Ryan wrote " I would recommend looking into how to
    customize Spree to add these translations in using the Globalize3 gem".
    So I ask myself if I should go with (a fork?) of spree_multi_language or
    go all custom or what.
    Any advise is welcome.
    Thanks.
  • Matteo folin at Mar 20, 2013 at 1:32 pm
    I mean localizing models data obviously: products and taxons name,
    as in spree_multi_lingual.
[...]

  • Ryan Bigg at Apr 1, 2013 at 9:56 pm
    Regarding this multilingual stuff:

    We've built a Proof of Concept for it internally for a client that wanted
    it. We're probably going to move this out into spree_i18n and have it as an
    officially supported extension. What it would do is add ways to provide
    translations for all the fields that need translations. There is not
    currently a timeframe of when this work would be done by. Know that we are
    looking into it.

    I mean localizing models data obviously: products and taxons name,
    ecc... as in spree_multi_lingual.

[...]

    Community Manager
    Spree Commerce, Inc.

    Register now for SpreeConf
    May 20-21 in Washington, D.C.
    http://spreeconf.com

  • Stephane at Apr 2, 2013 at 6:34 am
    Hey guys,

    Just want to let you know that I've send some time over the week to
    maintain spree_multi_lingual and will keep moving forward.
    Still have some issues and pull request to merge but they are welcome :) !

    Best,
    Stephane.

    On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 12:32 AM, matteo folin <matteo...@gmail.com<javascript:>

    --