I was making decent progress with Spree and Rails using ruby 1.8.7 but was
running into a few things where extensions did not support ruby 1.8.x. So
decided to upgrade to ruby 1.9.3 using rvm.

I started from scratch creating a new rails project with 'rails new www.fma
-d mysql'

edit config/database.yml to use newly created local database

cd www.fma && spree install --git=https://github.com/spree/spree.git
--branch=1-3-stable

bundle install && rails s

I get the following error: (note that I have setup RVM to use 1.9.3)

NoMethodError in Spree/home#index

Showing www.fma/vendor/bundle/ruby/1.9.1/bundler/gems/spree-f2945d4cb553/
core/app/views/spree/shared/_taxonomies.html.erb where line #4
raised:undefined method `children' for nil:NilClass

Extracted source (around line #4):1: <nav id="taxonomies"
class="sidebar-item" data-hook>
2: <% get_taxonomies.each do |taxonomy| %>
3: <h6 class='taxonomy-root'><%= t(:shop_by_taxonomy, :taxonomy => taxonomy.
name) %></h6>
4: <%= taxons_tree(taxonomy.root, @taxon, Spree::Config[:
max_level_in_taxons_menu] || 1) %>
5: <% end %>
6: </nav>

What am I missing?

  • Ryan Bigg at Feb 9, 2013 at 6:33 am
    Do you have a Gemfile I can look at?

[...]

  • Ryan Bigg at Feb 9, 2013 at 6:45 am
    Aaaand possibly a stack trace for the error.

[...]

  • Randy Terbush at Feb 9, 2013 at 4:43 pm
    The Gemfile is just the stock Gemfile you end up with at this point.
    Nothing changed with exception of uncommenting therubyracer.

    Stacktrace attached. I've confirmed this once more this morning after some
    sleep...

    Probably time I learn how to produce a stack trace. Can you help
    Aaaand possibly a stack trace for the error.

    On 09/02/2013, at 17:19, Randy Terbush <ra...@terbush.org <javascript:>>
[...]

  • Randy Terbush at Feb 9, 2013 at 5:48 pm
    FYI, I have taken a different path here and have first done a 'spree
    install' without pointing to the git branch '1-3-stable'. After getting a
    running store with just 'spree install', I then make the update to the
    Gemfile to point to '1-3-stable' and then do my 'bundle update'.

    Not sure if what I was trying to do is not expected to work, but I am
    beyond this issue, fwiw.

[...]

  • Ryan Bigg at Feb 10, 2013 at 10:14 pm
    I am able to reproduce this problem.

    Could you please file a new issue on https://github.com/spree/spree/issues?
    Just want to have it tracked against your name. I'll take a look into it
    today.

    cd www.fma && spree install --git=https://github.com/**spree/spree.git<https://github.com/spree/spree.git>--branch=1-3-stable

    .