Hey all - thought some of you might be interested in a new site, built with
Spree. It's in production for about 20% of the company's customers, and
will be rolling out shortly to the remainder of their customer base.

http://new.ezentrees.com

You don't see most of it at first glance, but there's a ton of
customization in the site - a few tidbits:

- uses markdown in most of the admin areas
- uses zip code zones
- uses the cool spree_variant_options for variant selection
- a bunch of business-specific reports, mostly related to fulfillment
- adds the concept of fulfillment dates; if the user chooses, say, delivery
(if available in his zip code), he'll choose from a list of upcoming dates
for which delivery is available in that zone.
- adds promotions for $ spent in a certain taxonomy, used to implement e.g.
"5% off over $100 in entrees", but will not include other items like side
dishes.
- includes related/recommended products (recommended sides), address book
for users, social features...

  • Greg Reinacker at Feb 5, 2013 at 11:42 pm
    You know, I've worked through most things - I found it fairly difficult to get started (I think I started with 1.0), but once I had a chance to really work with it for a while things seemed to get easier. I've contributed a number of pull requests (I'm greinacker on GH), both to spree and various extensions.

    Reporting is weak. I'm guessing just about every project using spree has to add new reporting - seems like better reporting (ala something like greinacker/spree_advanced_reporting) could be pulled in to core, or at least made into an official spree extension that's supported and such.

    There are places where things are un-addressable by deface...although this is as much my fault as anyone's, because I certainly could have submitted trivial pull requests to fix these (just adding id's or data-hooks or anything would work).

    I remember thinking when I got started that the docs really assumed you knew a lot about Spree. So for beginners, I think it's harder than it needs to be to get started. The problem is, all of us who know spree pretty well now don't have this same perspective, so it's hard to read the docs now and pinpoint the problems.

    One example - whenever you update spree to a new version, you need to run rake railties:install:migrations to install any new migrations; however, this is rarely mentioned in the announcements about new versions. It's no biggie for me any more, since I've been through it enough times to know how to make it work, but it's a struggle for newbies who discover that their app throws errors in a place that used to work fine.

    I will say that I think 1.3.2 is probably the best release (stable, etc) out of the box I've seen yet. Nice job to all!

    Greg
    Excellent! Thanks for letting us know about it.

    Is there anything you think could be improved within Spree?

[...]

  • Nate Lowrie at Feb 11, 2013 at 2:48 pm