Regarding spree-multi-currency: is similar functionality now a part of core
that uses the Money gem?
http://guides.spreecommerce.com/release_notes_1_2_0.html

On Monday, February 4, 2013 6:09:09 PM UTC+1, Tomek "Tomash" Stachewicz
wrote:
Hello,

The Stars Are Right, it's time to take the leap and upgrade both Spree
stores I maintain from Spree 0.70 to 1.x.

So, a few questions:

1. Some time ago a client had me integrate my Paypal-WS extension with his
Spree-1.1-based store, which of course resulted in upgrading the extension
to be Spree-1.1-compatible
https://github.com/tomash/spree-pp-website-standard/commits/master
Question: have there been many changes to Payment logic and related Order
APIs (mostly in regard to state_machine etc.)?
Will it be a lot of work to make the extension compatible with 1.2 and 1.3
as well?

2. Given the above, which Spree version should I upgrade to? In terms of
working extensions, support etc.?
Go almost-bleeding-edge with 1.3.1 or more conservative with 1.2.3?

3. How's the compatibility of github.com/pronix/spree-multi-currency (I
know, I'm a contributor, but that was a long time ago).
The commits indicate it's been made to work with 1.1, has anyone
successfully integrated it with 1.2 or 1.3-based store?

4. What's the recommended upgrade routine?
Changing entry in Gemfile and then what? (i.e. besides installing
migrations and running them)

Tomash

  • Ryan Bigg at Feb 6, 2013 at 4:53 am
    Hey Tomash.

    Regarding spree-multi-currency: is similar functionality now a part of
    core that uses the Money gem?
    http://guides.spreecommerce.com/release_notes_1_2_0.html

    On Monday, February 4, 2013 6:09:09 PM UTC+1, Tomek "Tomash" Stachewicz
    The Stars Are Right, it's time to take the leap and upgrade both Spree
    stores I maintain from Spree 0.70 to 1.x.
    Yay :)

    https://github.com/tomash/**spree-pp-website-standard/**commits/master<https://github.com/tomash/spree-pp-website-standard/commits/master>
    Question: have there been many changes to Payment logic and related Order
    APIs (mostly in regard to state_machine etc.)?
    Will it be a lot of work to make the extension compatible with 1.2 and
    1.3 as well?
    The only changes that I can recall around the payment logic is the tidying
    up that went into the creation of the Payment::Processing module. Most of
    the payment changes would be visible in the `git log` outputs for both the
    payment.rb file and payment/processing.rb files.

    Regarding the state_machine, yes there have been a couple of changes around
    that, mainly making it easier for people to be able to remove/add steps if
    they would like. By default though, the checkout flow has remained
    unchanged for a while.

    2. Given the above, which Spree version should I upgrade to? In terms of
    working extensions, support etc.?
    Go almost-bleeding-edge with 1.3.1 or more conservative with 1.2.3?
    1.3.2 preferably. as that's the latest that we've put out and therefore the
    best. The extensions which are not compatible with this version, but are
    maintained on https://github.com/spree will be upgraded as we find/make
    time for it.

    3. How's the compatibility of github.com/pronix/spree-**multi-currency<http://github.com/pronix/spree-multi-currency>(I know, I'm a contributor, but that was a long time ago).
    The commits indicate it's been made to work with 1.1, has anyone
    successfully integrated it with 1.2 or 1.3-based store?
    Really you would have to try the extension and see for yourself. It's hard
    to know for certain with externally maintained extensions like that one.

    4. What's the recommended upgrade routine?
    Changing entry in Gemfile and then what? (i.e. besides installing
    migrations and running them)
    I would go in incremental steps: 0.7.x -> 1.0.x -> 1.1.x -> 1.2.x -> 1.3.x.
    Going directly to 1.3.x is bad because we've dropped the old migrations and
    replaced it with one big fat one and some more ones past that.

    Hope this information helps you.