Hello, I am setting up on online apparel business that is based in New York
City. I have learned that I have to charge sales tax within the State of
NY.

This seems to be very complicated though. In Spree, you can set up zones
by Country or State.

As you can see here, though, NY has different tax rates mostly by county or
locality: http://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/publications/sales/pub718.pdf

So, the first question is, how do I build this into Spree? I was wondering
if there is a shortcut, I can just charge the highest rate (8.875%) ... but
not sure if that is right.

What do other online retailers based in NY do??

To make it even more complicated, there in an exemption for clothing and
footwear in certain counties/localities - if the consumer spends less than
$110, there is no sales tax:
http://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/publications/sales/pub718c.pdf

So, again, how do I build that into Spree?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Yogesh

  • Jet at Dec 27, 2012 at 8:28 pm
    If New York is a destination based sales tax state,

    you can try the TaxCloud extension I am building:

    spree_tax_cloud

    It is an interface to TaxCloud, a federally approved company
    that provides tax lookup and a tax service for free.

    Here is link to repository:

    https://github.com/bluehandtalking/spree_tax_cloud.git

    It does not provide address confirmation at this point, but is
    returning the correct tax rate. It can only be used for sales in the
    United States, and it does not go through the Zone or Tax Category
    interfaces of Spree.

    It is based on the work of @cmar and @drewtempelmeyer.

    At present, you will have to hard-wire your origin as that has not been
    configured as
    a preference yet.

    Cheers,

    Jet
[...]

  • Yogesh Riyat at Dec 28, 2012 at 12:30 am
    Hey what did you mean in the last part - you have to hard wire origin?

    Also, any ideas how to deal with the exemptions - for sales of clothing and
    shoes under $110 customers do not have to pay tax in certain
    counties/locales in NY...
    http://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/publications/sales/pub718c.pdf

    I wish there was just a flat rate across the US ;)

[...]

  • Jet at Dec 28, 2012 at 12:54 am
    Look in the repository file:

    * app <https://github.com/bluehandtalking/spree_tax_cloud/tree/master/app>/
    models<https://github.com/bluehandtalking/spree_tax_cloud/tree/master/app/models>/
    spree<https://github.com/bluehandtalking/spree_tax_cloud/tree/master/app/models/spree>/
    * *tax_cloud.rb*

    Change origin to your company's address.

    You are on your own for the exemptions.

    Cheers,

    Jet
[...]

  • Michael Bianco at Dec 28, 2012 at 6:22 pm
    Yogesh,

    I've written a gem that reads tax values from a DB table... dirty compared
    to tax cloud, but we only needed tax in one state like yourself, and our
    accountant felt more comfortable using a static table than a third-party
    service. Here is the extension:
    https://github.com/iloveitaly/spree_local_tax

    You could hardcode the $100 exemption in the `compute_order`
    method: https://github.com/iloveitaly/spree_local_tax/blob/master/app/models/spree/calculator/local_tax.rb#L49

    - Mike
[...]

  • Jet at Dec 30, 2012 at 9:12 pm
    According to your spec, you would have to go further than Mike's
    recommendation.

    Since you mentioned in some counties there is exemption for less than
    $100, it appears you would have to create
    custom zones for counties, and all of following would be necessary to get
    it into admin:

    +) Create county.rb
    +) Creating county_controller.rb,
    +) Creating zones_controller_decorator.rb
    +) Creating zone_decorator.rb
    +) Creating address_decorator.rb
    +) Create counties.yml
    +) Migrations

    After that you could include hard-coded logic for $100 exemption with
    eligibility of counties in
    compute_order of spree_local_tax.

    Or, do similar hard-coding in spree_tax_cloud:

    order_decorator.rb,

    lookup_tax_cloud

    adjustment.

    It may save time to write a Calculator for the adjustment.

    Cheers!

    Jet

[...]

  • Jet at Dec 30, 2012 at 9:22 pm
    Alternative would be just to modify your address form, then build the logic
    up from there, doing a search for counties with deductions.

    Seems that would be more expensive in query time, but perhaps that is not a
    problem.

    Jet