Hi!

Till IE 9 we have successfully implemented a solution to start the grid
node (and the grid hub) via nssm <https://nssm.cc/> as windows services.
I know, this is not supported but has worked there.
We have upgraded now to IE 11, the start solution works there too.

    1. But IE 11 under a service process now seems not allowed to run pages
    with JavaScript anymore.
    2. Windows Task Scheduler taskschd.msc seems to have the same
    restriction.

The Framework we want to test (Oracel ADF) use a lot of JavaScript.

Firefox works at least in the first Scenario, but our intranet browser is
set to IE and we have to test this.
Chrome seems to have a similar restriction as IE, but have not deeper
analyzed if it is JavaScript too.

I have tried Jenkins selenium plugin, but this does install a Service too
to start Selenium Node on the Jenkins slave.
Several other available Solutions are based on Windows Services too: srvany
<https://support.microsoft.com/de-de/kb/137890>, yajsw
<http://yajsw.sourceforge.net/>.

So how do you automatically start your remote nodes after a booting the
test machine?

Kind regards
Torsten

  • Shawn McCarthy at Jun 23, 2015 at 2:49 pm
    Instead of starting the selenium grid as a service, why not have it startup
    on Login, and setup auto logon on your grid nodes/hub? I have done this in
    the past, and it works out really well.

[...]

  • Jim Evans at Jun 24, 2015 at 11:41 am
    Windows has several mechanisms to launch a process at startup, particularly when a user logs in. The distinction is that you *must* have a user logged into the machine. You have no other alternatives that will be supported.

    The restriction on running IEDriverServer.exe from within a service isn't arbitrary. The driver uses some Windows APIs that specifically fail when called from within a service. This number of APIs is going to increase once I get done with the feature enhancement I'm working on right now.

  • Torsten Kleiber at Jul 17, 2015 at 5:35 pm
    Thank you for the info's.
    In the meantime we have implemented this via Auto Logon as described in

    http://serverfault.com/questions/269832/windows-server-2008-automatic-user-logon-on-power-on/606130#606130

    Selenium run now fine with IEDriverServer.exe.

    Unfortunatly this is a security risk, as the password is readable saved in
    the registry.
    Do you know another way of automatically start remote nodes after a booting
    the test machine?