FAQ
I have an integration test suite with 354 tests. Under Firefox 34/Selenium
Java WebDriver 2.44.0, it took around 20 minutes to execute my junit tests
under Eclipse on Windows 7 64-bit.

I just upgraded to Firefox 36 and Selenium Java WebDriver 2.45.0 and the
test time has TRIPLED! My tests now take almost an hour.

I tend to suspect Firefox, but I'm looking for confirmation. Have others
experienced a dramatic slowdown when upgrading? What about other
platforms? I'm about to deploy to my Linux CI server, but if it's going to
be that slow, I may reconsider.

Can anyone chime in with their experience with the upgrade?

Can anyone suggest tricks to speed up my tests?

Thanks,
Terry

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Selenium Users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to selenium-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to selenium-users@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/selenium-users/c33122fa-91b1-4a30-a41b-98dad7f759f4%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Search Discussions

  • PeterJeffreyGale at Mar 3, 2015 at 5:43 pm
    I don't think Webdriver v44 claims to support Firefox v36 yet does it, only
    v33 I believe.

    --
    You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Selenium Users" group.
    To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to selenium-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
    To post to this group, send email to selenium-users@googlegroups.com.
    To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/selenium-users/97e498d0-961d-4990-a674-7da4fc864cca%40googlegroups.com.
    For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
  • Terry Lacy at Mar 3, 2015 at 6:02 pm
    That's not v44. I just upgraded to 2.*45*.0, which does claim to support
    FF36. I did not experience the slowdown until I upgraded.
    On Tuesday, March 3, 2015 at 10:43:50 AM UTC-7, PeterJeffreyGale wrote:

    I don't think Webdriver v44 claims to support Firefox v36 yet does it,
    only v33 I believe.
    --
    You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Selenium Users" group.
    To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to selenium-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
    To post to this group, send email to selenium-users@googlegroups.com.
    To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/selenium-users/60f51042-4642-4339-a27e-eecfc4180526%40googlegroups.com.
    For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
  • Terry Lacy at Mar 3, 2015 at 6:04 pm
    Correction - although the changelog doesn't explicitly say it supports
    FF36, it does say:

    "Native events in Firefox relied on an API that Mozilla no longer provides.
    As such, fall back to synthesized events on recent Firefox versions."

    The change described happened in FF35.

    Terry
    On Tuesday, March 3, 2015 at 11:01:53 AM UTC-7, Terry Lacy wrote:

    That's not v44. I just upgraded to 2.*45*.0, which does claim to support
    FF36. I did not experience the slowdown until I upgraded.
    On Tuesday, March 3, 2015 at 10:43:50 AM UTC-7, PeterJeffreyGale wrote:

    I don't think Webdriver v44 claims to support Firefox v36 yet does it,
    only v33 I believe.
    --
    You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Selenium Users" group.
    To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to selenium-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
    To post to this group, send email to selenium-users@googlegroups.com.
    To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/selenium-users/5fd4d956-76af-4fc3-9350-1813c134f839%40googlegroups.com.
    For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
  • PeterJeffreyGale at Mar 3, 2015 at 6:15 pm
    That's recent at the time of writing, which may have predated v36 ... it
    would be better for them to be explicit about which versions they mean.

    However, the note you mention might explain both why v36 works for you,
    whether or not the Selenium developers have tested/certified the release
    for it, and why there is a change of execution speed for the worse.

    I'd recommend just sticking with the latest Firefox version that has
    extended support for your CI tests, that's currently v31, I
    think: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/faq/

    You might want to do some one off compatibility tests against the latest
    Firefox release each time it comes out

    --
    You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Selenium Users" group.
    To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to selenium-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
    To post to this group, send email to selenium-users@googlegroups.com.
    To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/selenium-users/9668ad91-57a9-461f-a7e6-ee10b4ec2134%40googlegroups.com.
    For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
  • Terry Lacy at Mar 3, 2015 at 6:45 pm
    I like to keep up with the latest firefox version because my users are
    using it, and they're all getting the automatic updates. I do wait until
    there's a compatible selenium version before upgrading my CI system. I do
    testing on my workstation or a dev VM I can roll back first.

    So, FF36/Selenium 2.45.0 "works", after a fashion, since my tests pass, but
    I'd still like some hints on anything I could do to speed it up. Maybe
    there are features I should avoid?

    Terry
    On Tuesday, March 3, 2015 at 11:15:41 AM UTC-7, PeterJeffreyGale wrote:

    That's recent at the time of writing, which may have predated v36 ... it
    would be better for them to be explicit about which versions they mean.

    However, the note you mention might explain both why v36 works for you,
    whether or not the Selenium developers have tested/certified the release
    for it, and why there is a change of execution speed for the worse.

    I'd recommend just sticking with the latest Firefox version that has
    extended support for your CI tests, that's currently v31, I think:
    https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/faq/

    You might want to do some one off compatibility tests against the latest
    Firefox release each time it comes out
    --
    You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Selenium Users" group.
    To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to selenium-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
    To post to this group, send email to selenium-users@googlegroups.com.
    To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/selenium-users/c88b904c-6cd5-4f59-9ca4-ba1c8d2d39b1%40googlegroups.com.
    For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
  • David Lai at Mar 3, 2015 at 6:14 pm
    +1 -


    I noticed a slow down in the tear down when using it via Selenium Grid. It
    would wait until the timeout period before freeing that browser for another
    test to use.

    I have downgraded back to FF35.

    --
    You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Selenium Users" group.
    To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to selenium-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
    To post to this group, send email to selenium-users@googlegroups.com.
    To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/selenium-users/4738a881-b250-456c-bb22-ce49a6384dcf%40googlegroups.com.
    For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
  • Terry Lacy at Mar 3, 2015 at 7:25 pm
    I started a test on a clone of my headless 64-bit Ubuntu 12.04 CI server VM
    with 12G memory and 4 CPUs. I run Firefox under Xvfb. I was going to wait
    until it finished before I posted here, but it's already been well over an
    hour, so I thought I'd post the status and update my post when it finishes.

    So far, the firefox process has eaten almost 90 minutes of CPU time (that's
    right, I said *CPU time*, not clock time). For comparison, the java
    process running my tests has used just 12 minutes of CPU time. I can't
    tell how far it is from finishing.

    I'm adding a TestWatcher to my test suite so I can see what tests are
    running and how long they're taking. Yes, I could wait until they finish
    and get that information, but I'm impatient :).

    Terry
    On Tuesday, March 3, 2015 at 10:32:16 AM UTC-7, Terry Lacy wrote:


    I have an integration test suite with 354 tests. Under Firefox
    34/Selenium Java WebDriver 2.44.0, it took around 20 minutes to execute my
    junit tests under Eclipse on Windows 7 64-bit.

    I just upgraded to Firefox 36 and Selenium Java WebDriver 2.45.0 and the
    test time has TRIPLED! My tests now take almost an hour.

    I tend to suspect Firefox, but I'm looking for confirmation. Have others
    experienced a dramatic slowdown when upgrading? What about other
    platforms? I'm about to deploy to my Linux CI server, but if it's going to
    be that slow, I may reconsider.

    Can anyone chime in with their experience with the upgrade?

    Can anyone suggest tricks to speed up my tests?

    Thanks,
    Terry
    --
    You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Selenium Users" group.
    To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to selenium-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
    To post to this group, send email to selenium-users@googlegroups.com.
    To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/selenium-users/563f7bd3-2997-4225-a7c3-b170ff153de4%40googlegroups.com.
    For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
  • Terry Lacy at Mar 3, 2015 at 7:29 pm
    Tests just finished on my Ubuntu server. They took 90 minutes to
    complete. That's 4.5 times as long as before the upgrade. Ouch.

    I guess I'll be going back to FF34/Selenium 2.44.0.

    Terry
    On Tuesday, March 3, 2015 at 10:32:16 AM UTC-7, Terry Lacy wrote:


    I have an integration test suite with 354 tests. Under Firefox
    34/Selenium Java WebDriver 2.44.0, it took around 20 minutes to execute my
    junit tests under Eclipse on Windows 7 64-bit.

    I just upgraded to Firefox 36 and Selenium Java WebDriver 2.45.0 and the
    test time has TRIPLED! My tests now take almost an hour.

    I tend to suspect Firefox, but I'm looking for confirmation. Have others
    experienced a dramatic slowdown when upgrading? What about other
    platforms? I'm about to deploy to my Linux CI server, but if it's going to
    be that slow, I may reconsider.

    Can anyone chime in with their experience with the upgrade?

    Can anyone suggest tricks to speed up my tests?

    Thanks,
    Terry
    --
    You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Selenium Users" group.
    To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to selenium-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
    To post to this group, send email to selenium-users@googlegroups.com.
    To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/selenium-users/4e510399-b57d-4263-9fe6-0a145f92e541%40googlegroups.com.
    For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
  • Jim Evans at Mar 3, 2015 at 7:44 pm
    A quick, cursory search of the Selenium issue tracker yields this:
    https://code.google.com/p/selenium/issues/detail?id=8551. It's a known
    issue.
    On Tuesday, March 3, 2015 at 2:29:04 PM UTC-5, Terry Lacy wrote:

    Tests just finished on my Ubuntu server. They took 90 minutes to
    complete. That's 4.5 times as long as before the upgrade. Ouch.

    I guess I'll be going back to FF34/Selenium 2.44.0.

    Terry
    On Tuesday, March 3, 2015 at 10:32:16 AM UTC-7, Terry Lacy wrote:


    I have an integration test suite with 354 tests. Under Firefox
    34/Selenium Java WebDriver 2.44.0, it took around 20 minutes to execute my
    junit tests under Eclipse on Windows 7 64-bit.

    I just upgraded to Firefox 36 and Selenium Java WebDriver 2.45.0 and the
    test time has TRIPLED! My tests now take almost an hour.

    I tend to suspect Firefox, but I'm looking for confirmation. Have others
    experienced a dramatic slowdown when upgrading? What about other
    platforms? I'm about to deploy to my Linux CI server, but if it's going to
    be that slow, I may reconsider.

    Can anyone chime in with their experience with the upgrade?

    Can anyone suggest tricks to speed up my tests?

    Thanks,
    Terry
    --
    You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Selenium Users" group.
    To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to selenium-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
    To post to this group, send email to selenium-users@googlegroups.com.
    To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/selenium-users/823741ab-f2dd-4793-b8a6-ac012fcfbd2f%40googlegroups.com.
    For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
  • PeterJeffreyGale at Mar 3, 2015 at 7:45 pm
    If it's having to default to using sytenesized rather than native events it sounds like it's beyond Selenium's control. But it such a new issue that you'd be best talking to the dev's about it. Unless one of them jumps in here, you might want to raise an issue for it and see what they have to say.

    BTW .. What's the performance of Selenium 2.45 with earlier versions of Firefox like, do you know?

    --
    You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Selenium Users" group.
    To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to selenium-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
    To post to this group, send email to selenium-users@googlegroups.com.
    To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/selenium-users/34be4abf-8cbb-4156-bb76-d7cc2ff60c61%40googlegroups.com.
    For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
  • Terry Lacy at Mar 3, 2015 at 9:48 pm
    Unfortunately, I didn't try that combination before rolling back. I did
    chime in with the little information I had in the issue tracker
    (https://code.google.com/p/selenium/issues/detail?id=8551).

    Terry
    On Tuesday, March 3, 2015 at 12:45:37 PM UTC-7, PeterJeffreyGale wrote:

    If it's having to default to using sytenesized rather than native events
    it sounds like it's beyond Selenium's control. But it such a new issue that
    you'd be best talking to the dev's about it. Unless one of them jumps in
    here, you might want to raise an issue for it and see what they have to
    say.

    BTW .. What's the performance of Selenium 2.45 with earlier versions of
    Firefox like, do you know?
    --
    You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Selenium Users" group.
    To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to selenium-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
    To post to this group, send email to selenium-users@googlegroups.com.
    To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/selenium-users/34f15a61-b849-4754-ad82-4c5b8c7c09b0%40googlegroups.com.
    For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
  • Stefan Åhman at Mar 8, 2015 at 4:23 am
    I use version 2.45.0.dev3 with FF35, since 2.45.0 is sloooow.
    On Tuesday, March 3, 2015 at 10:48:00 PM UTC+1, Terry Lacy wrote:

    Unfortunately, I didn't try that combination before rolling back. I did
    chime in with the little information I had in the issue tracker (
    https://code.google.com/p/selenium/issues/detail?id=8551).

    Terry
    On Tuesday, March 3, 2015 at 12:45:37 PM UTC-7, PeterJeffreyGale wrote:

    If it's having to default to using sytenesized rather than native events
    it sounds like it's beyond Selenium's control. But it such a new issue that
    you'd be best talking to the dev's about it. Unless one of them jumps in
    here, you might want to raise an issue for it and see what they have to
    say.

    BTW .. What's the performance of Selenium 2.45 with earlier versions of
    Firefox like, do you know?
    --
    You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Selenium Users" group.
    To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to selenium-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
    To post to this group, send email to selenium-users@googlegroups.com.
    To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/selenium-users/704c57b4-6b9c-4bf9-ac2d-0ce0d461623c%40googlegroups.com.
    For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
  • Manoj Sahu at Jun 5, 2015 at 3:27 am
    Hi Terry,

    I have updated my selenium to 45.0.0 and using Firefox 31.0, but some of
    the scripts are failing and taking lots of time to execute. Same is working
    for Firefox 29.0. I would appreciate if you would help me out of this
    situation.
    On Wednesday, March 4, 2015 at 3:18:00 AM UTC+5:30, Terry Lacy wrote:

    Unfortunately, I didn't try that combination before rolling back. I did
    chime in with the little information I had in the issue tracker (
    https://code.google.com/p/selenium/issues/detail?id=8551).

    Terry
    On Tuesday, March 3, 2015 at 12:45:37 PM UTC-7, PeterJeffreyGale wrote:

    If it's having to default to using sytenesized rather than native events
    it sounds like it's beyond Selenium's control. But it such a new issue that
    you'd be best talking to the dev's about it. Unless one of them jumps in
    here, you might want to raise an issue for it and see what they have to
    say.

    BTW .. What's the performance of Selenium 2.45 with earlier versions of
    Firefox like, do you know?
    --
    You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Selenium Users" group.
    To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to selenium-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
    To post to this group, send email to selenium-users@googlegroups.com.
    To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/selenium-users/4404ad13-37a4-4080-a864-920fc6c8f5f4%40googlegroups.com.
    For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
  • Mukesh otwani at Jun 5, 2015 at 6:31 pm
    Hi All,

    Today evening I was simply checking and got an update that new Selenium
    version has come.

    You can download 2.46 and you can use it.
    On Friday, June 5, 2015 at 8:57:14 AM UTC+5:30, Manoj Sahu wrote:

    Hi Terry,

    I have updated my selenium to 45.0.0 and using Firefox 31.0, but some of
    the scripts are failing and taking lots of time to execute. Same is working
    for Firefox 29.0. I would appreciate if you would help me out of this
    situation.
    On Wednesday, March 4, 2015 at 3:18:00 AM UTC+5:30, Terry Lacy wrote:

    Unfortunately, I didn't try that combination before rolling back. I did
    chime in with the little information I had in the issue tracker (
    https://code.google.com/p/selenium/issues/detail?id=8551).

    Terry
    On Tuesday, March 3, 2015 at 12:45:37 PM UTC-7, PeterJeffreyGale wrote:

    If it's having to default to using sytenesized rather than native events
    it sounds like it's beyond Selenium's control. But it such a new issue that
    you'd be best talking to the dev's about it. Unless one of them jumps in
    here, you might want to raise an issue for it and see what they have to
    say.

    BTW .. What's the performance of Selenium 2.45 with earlier versions of
    Firefox like, do you know?
    --
    You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Selenium Users" group.
    To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to selenium-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
    To post to this group, send email to selenium-users@googlegroups.com.
    To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/selenium-users/214b1b89-f80d-4392-ad75-2604b6d34804%40googlegroups.com.
    For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
  • Andreas Tolfsen at Mar 8, 2015 at 11:08 am

    On 3 Mar 2015, at 17:32, Terry Lacy wrote:
    I tend to suspect Firefox, but I'm looking for confirmation. Have others experienced a dramatic slowdown when upgrading? What about other platforms? I'm about to deploy to my Linux CI server, but if it's going to be that slow, I may reconsider.
    I believe this is caused by an uncaught performance regression in the httpd.js dependency FirefoxDriver uses.

    There's an unvetted patch attached to https://code.google.com/p/selenium/issues/detail?id=8557 that requires further testing.

    --
    You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Selenium Users" group.
    To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to selenium-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
    To post to this group, send email to selenium-users@googlegroups.com.
    To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/selenium-users/94F3CDD0-A2E0-4CFC-9876-1DED17865511%40mozilla.com.
    For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
  • Vikram at Mar 9, 2015 at 3:41 pm
    Hi Terry,

    With latest FF version and 2.45.0
    <http://selenium-release.storage.googleapis.com/2.45/selenium-server-standalone-2.45.0.jar> ,
    am seeing lots of weird failures.

    I'm not sure what is the best strategy in this case , fall back to older
    version of FF ? or run only P1 cases on FF ?? Ask users to shift to best
    browser Chrome ??

    It'll be helpful if you can please share you strategy in this particular
    scenario.

    Thanks & Regards,
    Vikram
    On Sunday, March 8, 2015 at 12:09:34 PM UTC+1, ato wrote:

    On 3 Mar 2015, at 17:32, Terry Lacy <terry...@gmail.com <javascript:>>
    wrote:
    I tend to suspect Firefox, but I'm looking for confirmation. Have
    others experienced a dramatic slowdown when upgrading? What about other
    platforms? I'm about to deploy to my Linux CI server, but if it's going to
    be that slow, I may reconsider.

    I believe this is caused by an uncaught performance regression in the
    httpd.js dependency FirefoxDriver uses.

    There's an unvetted patch attached to
    https://code.google.com/p/selenium/issues/detail?id=8557 that requires
    further testing.
    --
    You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Selenium Users" group.
    To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to selenium-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
    To post to this group, send email to selenium-users@googlegroups.com.
    To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/selenium-users/39377736-177b-467e-a874-6887bdc58e50%40googlegroups.com.
    For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
  • PeterJeffreyGale at Mar 9, 2015 at 3:58 pm
    Vikram

    I'd start by reading the full thread.

    Peter

    --
    You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Selenium Users" group.
    To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to selenium-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
    To post to this group, send email to selenium-users@googlegroups.com.
    To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/selenium-users/63a33432-941e-4384-bc81-9d0d2318cb90%40googlegroups.com.
    For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Related Discussions

Discussion Navigation
viewthread | post
Discussion Overview
groupselenium-users @
categoriesselenium
postedMar 3, '15 at 5:32p
activeJun 5, '15 at 6:31p
posts18
users9
websiteseleniumhq.org

People

Translate

site design / logo © 2021 Grokbase