Hi all,

I'm using Selenium WebDriver 2.35.0 with Java and TestNG, to perform a data
driven test for a search.

When I run my tests for a long time (multiple runs of the same test with
different data), I get to a certain point where I click on a link and the
FirefoxDriver then opens a completely new Firefox window and then I get an
error saying that the driver can't find the input option on the page. I
think the problem is that when it opens the new window the driver is not
running on the new window, which is why it can't find the input option.

I really don't want the driver to open a new window, nor switch to it, just
want all my tests to run normally in the same window. Is this a known bug,
a browser driver specific configuration issue or somebody knows how to
solve it?

Thanks!

Carolina.-

  • Oscar Rieken at Sep 19, 2013 at 11:01 pm
    whenever you have a new window you have to switch to that window. then when
    you close that window you can switch back to the main window. is it
    possible that the link has a target assigned to it. if its the same one i
    would suggest looking into that. or maybe show us some code and maybe we
    can get a better idea of what is happening

    Also im just going to say that going thru and clicking on all of the links
    in one page in one test seems like a bad idea. but again i have not seen
    the code. or the test or know why you are doing it.

[...]

    https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/selenium-users/23a94c72-acfa-4d9b-a165-c7ec2c3ade13%40googlegroups.com
    .
  • DongXiang at Sep 20, 2013 at 3:03 am
    I guess Firefoxdriver not open the new window but your "Link" did it. WebDriver just click it and do nother others.
    Could u check ur link, what's the expect behaviour when click it.
    Best Regards,--david
    I'm using Selenium WebDriver 2.35.0 with Java and TestNG, to perform a data driven test for a search.
    When I run my tests for a long time (multiple runs of the same test with different data), I get to a certain point where I click on a link and the FirefoxDriver then opens a completely new Firefox window and then I get an error saying that the driver can't find the input option on the page. I think the problem is that when it opens the new window the driver is not running on the new window, which is why it can't find the input option.
    I really don't want the driver to open a new window, nor switch to it, just want all my tests to run normally in the same window. Is this a known bug, a browser driver specific configuration issue or somebody knows how to solve it?
    Thanks!
    Carolina.-

    To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/selenium-users/23a94c72-acfa-4d9b-a165-c7ec2c3ade13%40googlegroups.com.

  • Carolina Baquero at Sep 25, 2013 at 10:16 am
    Hi all,
    I'm sorry I didn't come over here before. As Dave said, it was my link
    opening the new instance and not the driver.

    Thanks for giving me that security ("WebDriver just click it and do nother
    others."), so I did could tell the dev team they need to check this bug in
    the application.

    Thanks for your time!
    Carolina.-