Hello everyone,

I am still fairly new to Selenium and ran into a problem that I am unsure
how to approach. I have this text box that has a default value "Coverage
Search..." and when you type in it, it lists suggestions underneath. If I
use the command sendKeys it adds the text after "Coverage Search..." and if
I use the command type, the text is left there but the suggestions do not
appear. So basically I'm just trying to type "a" and select the first value
that is suggested and am not sure what to do. Any help would be greatly
apreciated, and if more info is required from me, I would provide what I
can. And I apologize if this is a repost.

  • DongXiang at Aug 18, 2013 at 8:52 am
    Not like human doing, sendkeys won't fire those javascript events on the elements, so, all your javascript won't be triggered and your auto-diaply won't be shown.

    You may use javascript to fire those events on your elements after sendkeys method.

    --david

    I am still fairly new to Selenium and ran into a problem that I am unsure how to approach. I have this text box that has a default value "Coverage Search..." and when you type in it, it lists suggestions underneath. If I use the command sendKeys it adds the text after "Coverage Search..." and if I use the command type, the text is left there but the suggestions do not appear. So basically I'm just trying to type "a" and select the first value that is suggested and am not sure what to do. Any help would be greatly apreciated, and if more info is required from me, I would provide what I can. And I apologize if this is a repost.

    To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/selenium-users/866824c3-33c9-41c3-9777-d651a31cfb86%40googlegroups.com.

  • Erik S at Aug 18, 2013 at 9:10 am
    So after messing around a little more with selenium, I have been able to
    clear the default value but now struggle selecting a suggested text.

    driver.findElement(By.id("text_primaryPlan")).click();
    driver.findElement(By.id("text_primaryPlan")).sendKeys("aa");
    driver.findElement(By.id("ID_543")).click(); //THIS FAILS

    It is unable to find the ID of the text, so i am not sure how to continue.
    Some other sites suggest using the return key select the item bu using
    something similar to this:

    import org.openqa.selenium.Keys

    driver.findElement(By.id("text_primaryPlan"))sendKeys("key.RETURN");

    I am unable to get this to work, when ever i add the import it destroys my code.