The following code works fine in firefox, but freezes during the call to
find element in chrome:

from selenium import webdriver
import time

browser = webdriver.Chrome()
browser.implicitly_wait(30)
browser.get("http://www.google.com")
browser.find_element_by_id("gbqfq").send_keys("harry potter")
time.sleep(5)
browser.find_element_by_id("gb_2").click()
time.sleep(5)
browser.quit()

I'm running Win7 64 bit, chrome Version 27.0.1453.110 m, and chromedriver2
0.9 (r202974) (and added to my path), selenium 2.32.0, python 2.7.3.
Since this is my first attempt at using the chrome driver, I'm not sure if
I'm missing something or I've found a defect.
The stacktrace seems to vary from execution to execution, I've attached
screen shots of a few below:

  • Arran at Jun 6, 2013 at 9:07 am
    Is it any different with the current stable version of ChromeDriver?
    https://code.google.com/p/chromedriver/downloads/list

    (chromedriver_win_26.0.1383.0.zip<https://code.google.com/p/chromedriver/downloads/detail?name=chromedriver_win_26.0.1383.0.zip&can=2&q=>
    )
[...]

  • Ben White at Jun 6, 2013 at 3:58 pm
    I was really embarrassed there for a second, but after updating to the
    newer driver, I'm still having the same issue.
    stacktrace <http://imgur.com/nQJB0zU>
[...]

    I'm curious if the script I included above works for anyone else in chrome
    or if its just me having issues?
[...]

  • Mark Collin at Jun 7, 2013 at 10:29 am
    The chromedriver team have now released the official ChromeDriver 2.0
    for support with Chrome 27, you could try that and see how it goes.

    Because you have set implicitly wait it will wait for up to 30 seconds
    every time you try to find an element, mixing that in with your
    thread.sleep you could be sitting there for 35 seconds before failures
    if the element can't be found.

    How long does it freeze for?

    browser.get("http://www.google.com <http://www.google.com>")
    browser.find_element_by_id("gbqfq").send_keys("harry potter")
    time.sleep(5)
    browser.find_element_by_id("gb_2").click()
    time.sleep(5)
    browser.quit()
    I'm running Win7 64 bit, chrome Version 27.0.1453.110 m, and
    chromedriver2 0.9 (r202974) (and added to my path), selenium
    2.32.0, python 2.7.3.
    Since this is my first attempt at using the chrome driver, I'm
    not sure if I'm missing something or I've found a defect.
    The stacktrace seems to vary from execution to execution, I've
    attached screen shots of a few below:

  • Ben White at Jun 9, 2013 at 9:57 pm
    I'm pretty sure I have the latest driver (found here<http://code.google.com/p/chromedriver/downloads/detail?name=chromedriver_win32_2.0.zip&can=2&q=>
    ).

    I am aware that it would wait for up to 35 seconds before throwing an
    exception, however I could leave it for an hour and nothing would happen.
    Also, I think its worth noting that the stack trace I linked previously was
    acquired by using ctrl+c after waiting some time for the function to
    complete (not sure how else I could do this as I'm somewhat new to python
    and am not currently using a IDE) and the first two lines
    ("ERROR:ipc_channel_win.cc(132)" and "ERROR:textfield.h(162)") are printed
    almost immediately as soon as the script attempts to click on "gb_2", not
    when I keyboard interrupt the execution like the rest of the trace.
[...]

    .
    https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/selenium-users/8e4de9e9-21c6-4274-87ff-299ae56fae85%40googlegroups.com?hl=en-US
    .

  • Mark Collin at Jun 10, 2013 at 12:31 pm
    Sounds like there may be something not quite right in the latest
    chromedriver then. I would suggest you raise a defect
[...]

    <javascript:>.
    https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/selenium-users/8e4de9e9-21c6-4274-87ff-299ae56fae85%40googlegroups.com?hl=en-US
    <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/selenium-users/8e4de9e9-21c6-4274-87ff-299ae56fae85%40googlegroups.com?hl=en-US>.
    <https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out>.
  • P at Jun 21, 2013 at 7:01 am
    Is there any defect raised for this? I am also facing the same issue.
[...]

    https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/selenium-users/9b162fb5-2d16-4c15-9558-6a2aa2203bc8%40googlegroups.com?hl=en-US
    .

  • Ben White at Jun 25, 2013 at 7:06 pm
    Yes, issue 398 and 400 have been raised with this issue.398<http://code.google.com/p/chromedriver/issues/detail?id=398>,
    400 <http://code.google.com/p/chromedriver/issues/detail?id=400>

    There is a workaround:
    Python (Windows):
    service_args = ['--log-path=NUL']
    browser = webdriver.Chrome(service_args=service_args)

      Python (non-Windows?)
    service_args = ['--verbose', '--log-path=/dev/null']
    driver = webdriver.Chrome(chrome_options = cr_options, service_args=service_args)
    I'm not sure if the --verbose or the chrome_options parts in the
    non-windows solution are necessary, as it was in the original post, and it
    seems that setting the log-path variable is the actual solution, however
    I'm not on the team for this project and 398 was not my ticket so it may
    be. Hope this helps!
[...]

  • Divya Maheshwari at Jun 7, 2013 at 10:04 am
    Hi,

    Try to put one small thread.sleep after your get command. It should work
    out.

    Thanks
[...]

  • Mark Collin at Jun 7, 2013 at 10:26 am
    You should *never* use thread.sleep!

    If you need to wait for something to appear use an explicit wait instead.