Hello Selenium Experts,

As part of process of moving to Agile, our company's has been trying to
play with the idea of Cucumber behavior driven framework. However as per
the framework website http://cukes.info/, it seems like they are more
inclined to Ruby language although the site says it supports java as well.

Although i know Ruby a little bit, I wanted to use Java since it's mostly
widely used programming language with Cucumber if possible.

So I wanted to know if anyone has implemented Cucumber framework using Java
or have any experience with Cucumber Framework?

If yes, How did you do it? What was the consequences?

Any feedback/suggestions would be appreciated.

--

*- "If you haven't suffered, you haven't lived your life."*
**

Sirus

  • David at Jan 25, 2013 at 7:34 pm
    Did you look into other options for BDD as well? Cucumber isn't your only
    option, though it might be the most well known among BDD. I recommend you
    look into the others as well.

    Here's some other BDD frameworks w/ Java support:

    * JBehave.org
    * Cucumber-JVM (specific to Java - https://github.com/cucumber/cucumber-jvm)
    * RobotFramework.org (Python based, but supports Java via Jython or XML-RPC
    remote library interface, framework also supports data driven testing, and
    keyword driven testing)
    As part of process of moving to Agile, our company's has been trying to
    play with the idea of Cucumber behavior driven framework. However as per
    the framework website http://cukes.info/, it seems like they are more
    inclined to Ruby language although the site says it supports java as well.

    Although i know Ruby a little bit, I wanted to use Java since it's mostly
    widely used programming language with Cucumber if possible.

    So I wanted to know if anyone has implemented Cucumber framework using
    Java or have any experience with Cucumber Framework?

    If yes, How did you do it? What was the consequences?

    Any feedback/suggestions would be appreciated.

    --

    *- "If you haven't suffered, you haven't lived your life."*

    Thanks,

    Sirus
  • Oscar Rieken at Jan 25, 2013 at 7:39 pm
    I use cucumber in ruby and jruby, specflow for .net, and it works just
    fine. just make sure when you create your framework to have it make sense

    if you are interested in using ruby you can look into taza
    here is an example on using cucumber taza and watir-webdriver(it works the
    same with selenium-webdriver
    https://github.com/hammernight/etsy_cucumber_taza_tutorial.git

[...]

    https://groups.google.com/d/msg/selenium-users/-/Kd6Tye-umW4J.

  • Mark Collin at Jan 25, 2013 at 9:57 pm
    A couple more frameworks that can be used in a BDD fashion:

    http://www.concordion.org/

    http://code.google.com/p/yatspec/

    http://jdave.org/

    http://www.easyb.org/

[...]

  • Manoj K at Jan 26, 2013 at 8:14 am
    I have used Cuke4Duke - the Java API for cucumber and it was good.

    I would recommend using Thucydides if you are starting new, it got many
    good features like JBehave, Jira integration, reporting parts are at best.

    http://www.thucydides.info/

    http://assertselenium.com/2013/01/24/thucydides-the-atdd-way/

    Regards,
    Manoj
    http://assertselenium.com
[...]

  • Sirus tula at Jan 28, 2013 at 2:27 pm
    Thank you all for your suggestions and advice.

    I have looked into JBehave which is similair to cucumber framework but
    primarily focused in Java programming language.

    I am just wondering how Business Analysts would be willing to write the
    scenario like in cucumber or Jbehave since most of the test scenarios that
    i work on are pretty much separate from each other so that means they need
    to write plenty of them.

    Anyway, thanks all for advices and some really good suggestions.

    http://code.google.com/p/**yatspec/ <http://code.google.com/p/yatspec/>

    http://jdave.org/

    http://www.easyb.org/

    cucumber-jvm <https://github.com/cucumber/cucumber-jvm>)

[...]

    googlegroups.com.

    To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/**
    msg/selenium-users/-/Kd6Tye-**umW4J<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/selenium-users/-/Kd6Tye-umW4J>
    .
    .

    https://groups.google.com/d/msg/selenium-users/-/Mh7gCKQRsZUJ.

    *- "If you haven't suffered, you haven't lived your life."*
    **
    Thanks,

    Sirus

  • David Lai at Jan 25, 2013 at 10:15 pm
    I've used cukes before in Java. It's slightly less featured than Ruby, and
    you'll find yourself violating some of the Java naming standards in the
    high level test fixtures to get it to work. But for the most part, it
    works like the Ruby version.

    As advice, although it's tempting to put references to the webdriver inside
    the invidual fixtures, it's best to create a separate package of singleton
    to manager your test objects so they can safely be shared between test
    fixtures. Something like the "world" object in the lettuce framework
    (python clone of cucumber).