{Using WebDriver/Java/TestNG/Eclipse]

I may be not be wording this correctly. Here's the situation, when clicking
on a scroll bar in a table, an additional set of records are displayed in
the table. The number of records displayed each time is fixed at around 40.
I think this is called lazy scrolling.

When I first load the page containing the lazy scroller, I get a table row
count of 40 but that is not the full row count. The rowcount increases with
every click on the scroll bar but never really gets to report the correct
table row count, which is 100.

QUESTIONS:
1. If I look at the firebug Console, I can see the JSON response which
clearly provides me with the table row count. The question is how to read
that JSON data that gets returned when clicking on the scroll bar?

2. There's dojo in between, ie, it's a dojoxGridTable. Does that matter?

Thanks.

Thanks

  • David at Dec 6, 2012 at 3:11 am
    You'll probably need to use HAR files and a proxy or Firefox extension that
    will capture the HAR file for you to query for the JSON response via the
    captured file. It's not available standalone from WebDriver/FirefoxDriver.
[...]

  • Oscar Rieken at Dec 6, 2012 at 1:25 pm
    I think the real question is what do you want to actually test?
    if its the scroll bar:
    then you need to scroll to the last element (and wait for all of the ajax
    calls to load new items) and then assert you have all of the items in the
    list, I suggest you know what they are and how many it will make testing if
    they really load easier

    if its the ajax:
    I dont suggest using selenium for it, send requests directly to the
    controller get back the response and parse it out for the elements that
    would be in the response, no need to get the browser involved really and it
    would speed up your test.

    so what is it you are really trying to test?

[...]

    https://groups.google.com/d/msg/selenium-users/-/crI6trBI9YIJ.

  • Sirena0110 at Dec 7, 2012 at 4:40 pm
    I wanted to get the records from the table to compare them against the db.
    I couldn't read this table in its entirety because there's a lazy roll (not
    sure if that's how you call it) feature where, basically, you don't see all
    records at once, but have to scroll down to see a buch at a time. In
    addition, the application was developed using dojo.

    The user felt it was ok to just check for the first batch of records
    available (48 out 108) and just compare that AND the row count. That's when
    things went downhill for me. Via WebDriver, I could only see 48 rows, via
    http response, I could see all 108. So the number was there for the
    grabbing, but how could I get to it?

    However, later I learned that the QTP team developed a few methods within
    their dojo took kit to deal with it. In the process of trying to get my
    hands on that code, I learned that they also had the specific javascript
    code, which worked perfectly with what I tried to do.

    To answer your question, I wasn't trying to test the scroll, just to get
    the row count (it did took a while to figure out what it is that I
    wanted...)

    (Although I'm all set, you wouldn't happen to have an example of how to do
    what you said, "...send requests directly to the controller get back the
    response and parse it out for the elements that would be in the
    response...", right? or maybe point me to some reference place. Would this
    be done in java?)

    Thanks.
[...]

  • Sirena0110 at Dec 7, 2012 at 4:25 pm
    At the end, I found some javascript code that got me what I needed. There's
    dojo in between. I need to look closer to see what they did but didn't have
    the time. Still is good to know that there isn't a way with webdriver so I
    won't go there next time.

    Thanks.