Hi Guys,

I am not sure if I have posted my query in the right space. Please excuse
me if I haven't.

I want to automate a java applet application which gets invoked using a jar
file.
I don't have source code for the application. By clicking on the jar file,
i'll have the applet client window which i want to automate.

I tried Autoit. But it is recognizing the whole applet as a single window
and is able to fetch its title only.
Its unable to identify the components (buttons, labels, text box) inside
the applet.

Can i use* Robot class* for automation, without knowing the properties of
frame, dialog, button, labels, etc inside the applet?
Or else, can i use *FEST* without knowing the properties of frame or dialog?

If yes, please do let me know how to do that.

Thank you Guys.

Regards,
Praveen

  • Krishnan Mahadevan at Sep 12, 2012 at 8:58 am
    I believe FEST is a good option. I also found a GUI spy that can be coupled
    along with FEST which will work just like firebug.

    There is a java based library named SwingSpy that can help with this.
    Following are the details on how to work with Swing spy.

    Add the following to your project's maven dependencies: [Assuming you are
    working with a maven project. If not, just download the jar and add it to
    your classpath ]

    <dependency>
    <groupId>org.jodd</groupId>
    <artifactId>jodd</artifactId>
    <version>3.2.7</version>
    </dependency>

    Now to invoke SwingSpy, just add the following line to the first line of
    your code that is going to spawn a Swing UI application.

    SwingSpy.install();

    The above line will cause swing spy to be installed. Now in order to
    perform object recognitions on a Swing application use the following hot
    keys:
    Ctrl + Shift + Mouse left click (on the control that you will want to
    identify)

    and it will open up a window which will give us a lot of information about
    the application's swing control.

    Hope that helps !

    Thanks & Regards
    Krishnan Mahadevan

    "All the desirable things in life are either illegal, expensive, fattening
    or in love with someone else!"

[...]

  • Pradeep qa at Sep 12, 2012 at 2:03 pm
    Regret to jump-in here,

    but it looks very useful, and i did a try with the below information and am
    able to install the same.

    console message:

    SwingSpy has been installed.
    SHIFT-CTRL-CLICK on any component to activate.

    but when i click on Shift+Ctrl+Click nothing happens.[ no spy/window shown
    up].

    can you help here Krishnan, what else is required.

    Thanks and Regards
    Pradeep

[...]

  • Krishnan Mahadevan at Sep 12, 2012 at 2:02 pm
    Pradeep,
    I dont remember needing anything else apart from what I have detailed
    already. So to be honest, am out of options as well :(

[...]

  • Santosh Hulisandra Srikanta at Sep 12, 2012 at 5:14 pm
    Sorry for pitching in here.
    I have used Sikuli to click on the applets which can be easily integrated
    with Selenium. You can give a try,
[...]

  • Praveen R at Nov 29, 2012 at 10:43 am
    Hi San,

    Could you please let me know the way to integrate sikuli with selenium.
    I have imported sikuli api in the eclipse.
    But not sure how to proceed further. It will be very helpful if you can
    send me some sample code snippet.

    Thank you.
    Regards,
    Praveen R

    On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 7:26 PM, Pradeep qa <prade...@gmail.com<javascript:>

    On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 12:22 PM, Praveen R <rpra...@gmail.com<javascript:>
[...]

  • Darrell Grainger at Sep 12, 2012 at 6:35 pm
    SwingSpy requires you to modify the applet. You need to add the jar file to
    you applet project and add in:

    try {
    Class.forName("jodd.swing.spy.SwingSpy").getMethod("install").invoke(
    null);
    } catch (Exception ex) {
    System.err.println("SwingSpy is not installed... " + ex.toString());
    }

    Without this modification to your applet you cannot use the
    Shift-Control-Click. Standard test practice is to test what you release. So
    technically you need to leave the SwingSpy hook into your applet. As a
    white hat hacker I can tell you people will download the applet and
    decompile it with djdec.

    hisan's recommendation for Sikuli might be worth looking into.
[...]

  • Krishnan Mahadevan at Sep 13, 2012 at 1:23 am
    Darrell,
    I have personally used SwingSpy with one of my in house Swing app and I
    have not modified my app to include it. So I know for sure this dependency
    is not required. But I never tried using it on an applet as such.

    I had a main method through which I would spawn the SwingSpy and then I
    would instantiate my swing app and worked with it.
[...]

    .

    .

    https://groups.google.com/d/msg/selenium-users/-/ndnWYEVBQ-IJ.

    Thanks & Regards
    Krishnan Mahadevan

    "All the desirable things in life are either illegal, expensive, fattening
    or in love with someone else!"

  • Praveen R at Sep 13, 2012 at 5:47 am
    Thank you Krishnan. I'll give it a try.

    And thanks guys for suggesting other ways the automation.

    Regarding Sikuli, it automates and test GUIs using screenshots, which is
    not a foolproof way. If some window comes over our application-under-test
    then Sikuli wont be able to identify it because its not visible.

[...]

  • Madhukar ashok at Nov 16, 2012 at 10:37 pm
    hi krishnan/darell,
    i have added jodd.jar to the project and also included the try catch
    part of the code in my class . but the hot key control is not working for
    me. how do i get tht working ?

    im trying to work on oracle forms which are launced from web browser.
    (oracle ebusiness suite forms).
[...]

  • Madhukar ashok at Nov 20, 2012 at 9:44 pm
    hi folks , any possible assistance on this ?
[...]

  • Skd at Sep 12, 2012 at 5:33 pm
    If you don't need to test the applet in a browser, you might have a look at
    Marathon (http://marathontesting.com/).