Hi there!

We run a grid node on a Win7 machine. After some time the node stepped into
a OutOfMemoryError (with heap space 512m) and wasn't visible to the hub
anymore.
That happened without any tests running at all. We use version 2.24.1 for
all servers. There had been some heap space issues described last year, but
I think they should have been fixed until now.
At the moment we start the node with -Xms1024m -Xmx1024m and no errorsfor
the time being, but still watching.
Is there any "best practice" for keeping a node running or automatically
restarting it if necessary?

Regards,
Stefan

  • Krishnan Mahadevan at Jul 31, 2012 at 11:24 am
    Stefan,

    Well that is exactly the same error that we have been facing as well.
    I am still trying to figure out what is the best way of getting this
    addressed.

    Here are a few things that I am thinking of :

    1. Automatic restart of the node everyday.
    2. Incorporate a monitoring logic which basically restarts the node if the
    actual memory available for the JVM and the current memory usage start
    getting close to each other.
    3. If you are running on VMs, I think you can even plug-in the logic within
    the grid itself wherein the grid automatically restarts the node (you may
    have to leverage some of the VM APIs) after "n" tests are run to completion.

    Thanks & Regards
    Krishnan Mahadevan

    "All the desirable things in life are either illegal, expensive, fattening
    or in love with someone else!"

    We run a grid node on a Win7 machine. After some time the node stepped
    into a OutOfMemoryError (with heap space 512m) and wasn't visible to the
    hub anymore.
    That happened without any tests running at all. We use version 2.24.1 for
    all servers. There had been some heap space issues described last year, but
    I think they should have been fixed until now.
    At the moment we start the node with -Xms1024m -Xmx1024m and no errorsfor
    the time being, but still watching.
    Is there any "best practice" for keeping a node running or automatically
    restarting it if necessary?

    Regards,
    Stefan

  • Mike Riley at Aug 8, 2012 at 2:11 am
    Like Krishnan I ran into this. I also increased the heap space, but I
    restarted my servers twice. Once for the unattended nightly run and once
    during the day for development work. Once I did that I never had a problem
    like that again. Simply increasing the heap space merely delayed when it
    happened, but that was before a lot of memory leaks in the grid system were
    fixed.

    Mike

    On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 4:38 PM, yankee007 <stefan...@gmx.at <javascript:>

    https://groups.google.com/d/msg/selenium-users/-/MrIZhycK6qwJ.