I am going to use Selenium web driver for automation alongwith Enterprise
tester as a test management tool. Do I need to consider anything while
doing the designing and framework for the automation so that Its
integration with Enterprise tester in the near future becomes seamless?

Any advise in this regard will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Fanindra

  • Krishnan Mahadevan at Jul 11, 2012 at 5:38 am
    What all would you be considering for this integration ?

    1. Test-scripts management (Obviously is needed)
    2. Mapping of test-scripts to corresponding automation code ? [So that from
    within ET a user has the ability to browse through the corresponding
    automation code ?]
    3. Execution of automated tests, posting back results into ET ?
    4. Execution management/scheduling etc., of your automation code from
    within ET ?

    AFAIK, a Selenium WebDriver based automation framework, needs to just
    consider the following (apart from the UI interaction ofcourse)

    1. Test Results posting.

    I believe ET has APIs that would let a user post back test results into ET.

    I dont think there is anything else that you may have to specifically
    consider here...

    My $0.02

    Thanks & Regards
    Krishnan Mahadevan

    "All the desirable things in life are either illegal, expensive, fattening
    or in love with someone else!"

    On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 10:05 AM, Fanindra Bapat

    I am going to use Selenium web driver for automation alongwith Enterprise
    tester as a test management tool. Do I need to consider anything while
    doing the designing and framework for the automation so that Its
    integration with Enterprise tester in the near future becomes seamless?

    Any advise in this regard will be appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Fanindra

  • Fanindra Bapat at Jul 12, 2012 at 4:17 am
    Thanks for the reply.

    The main points to note with the Selenium file is that Duette(plug-in in
    ET) only supports importing results from Selenium RC that has the HTML
    results format and it must be a test suite.

    Can we achieve this with Web Driver?

    Thanks,
    Fanindra

    On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 10:05 AM, Fanindra Bapat <fanindra.bapat@gmail.com

    I am going to use Selenium web driver for automation alongwith Enterprise
    tester as a test management tool. Do I need to consider anything while
    doing the designing and framework for the automation so that Its
    integration with Enterprise tester in the near future becomes seamless?

    Any advise in this regard will be appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Fanindra

  • Alex Henderson at Jul 12, 2012 at 9:50 am
    Hi Fanindra,

    Yes, the selenium adapter which comes with Enterprise Tester is primarily
    useful when using with Selenium IDE - so the audience is really for:

        - Those people creating quick bug reproduction scripts.
        - Using a service such as sauce labs OnDemand.
        - QA people who don't necessarily have the software developer skills to
        write code, and are more comfortable with Selenium IDE.

    For Web Driver, there is no output format as far as I'm aware because this
    is largely up to the language/testing framework you are using to interact
    with web driver through the native language bindings (Correct me if I'm
    wrong Selenium experts).

    So if using java - Enterprise Tester can import the results of junit/testng
    etc. test results (we support a large variety of test output formats from
    many unit testing frameworks/languages) - or if you are using a
    custom/obscure framework, you can provide Enterprise Tester with an XSLT
    file which can transform the results (if XML) into Junit format, suitable
    for then parsing by Duette - this is a similar approach to that used by the
    Jenkins xunit plugin (and in fact you can use XSLT files from Jenkins for
    this very purpose).

    Last of all, if you are feeling adventurous, it is possible to develop new
    automated test adapters from scratch for Enterprise Tester, this allows the
    importing of proprietary automated test output formats. We will look to
    include a sample for this when releasing our SDK in the near future, but
    can assist existing customers now if they wish to develop their
    own adapter for parsing automated test results, we are very interested in
    assisting customers & the community with building additions on top of
    Enterprise Tester.

    Adapter plugins currently must target the .Net Framework 4.0 and normally
    consist of a handful of files, the current selenium adapter for example is
    just over 300 lines of code, and they don't need to accept a file as input
    (so could pull test results from a database or some other source if
    required).

    Hope that helps :)

    Regards,

    Alex Henderson
    Lead Developer
    Catch Software
[...]

  • Fanindra Bapat at Jul 12, 2012 at 12:22 pm
    Thanks a lot Alex. This was really helpful. I am going to use Java along
    with Test NG & Page object model. Looks like we can import test results
    from testNg into ET.

    Thanks Again

[...]

  • 141gaurav at Jul 5, 2013 at 6:54 am
    Hi Fanindra,

    I also want to implement the same can you please share the code.

    Thanks,
    Gaurav
[...]

    For more options, visit this group at
    http://groups.google.com/group/selenium-users?hl=en-US.
  • Alex Henderson at Jul 12, 2012 at 5:28 am
    Hi,

    RE: Enterprise Tester integration with Selenium, currently as of version
    4.2 Enterprise Tester supports:

    * Importing selenium results via the Duette automated testing plugin.
    * Searching of automated test results and reporting off high level stats
    i.e. passes/fails/skips etc.
    * Ability to drill down to individual failing steps etc. in selenium
    results.
    * Ability to create and associate a defect (this can be automatically
    synchronized with a tool such as Jira).

    Managing the selenium scripts (automation code) and execution of selenium
    tests are not currently handled by Enterprise Tester, and neither is
    scheduling - existing customers are currently using build server products
    such as Jenkins/Teamcity/Bamboo to handle automating the process of
    executing selenium scripts etc. (normally triggered via a change in source
    control) or run on a nightly basis - though we do have some future
    enhancement requests logged around adding support for managing scheduling
    and execution of automated tests within Enterprise Tester.

    Importing of results via the REST API is fairly rudimentary in version 4.2,
    but version 4.3 due out end of next month includes a greatly enhanced API
    making it much easier to import selenium results, create new automated
    tests / assign them to execution sets etc. If you are interested in
    developing against the new API, please contact our support desk directly
    and we can look at providing a preview release which you can try, we always
    welcome feedback on our new features.

    Cheers,

    Alex Henderson
    Lead Developer
    Catch Software
    (makers of Enterprise Tester & Duette)
[...]

  • Krishnan Mahadevan at Jul 12, 2012 at 5:46 am
    Alex,
    Thanks a bunch. That was a lot of info. :)

[...]

    .
    group/selenium-users?hl=en-US<http://groups.google.com/group/selenium-users?hl=en-US>
    .
  • Fanindra Bapat at Jul 12, 2012 at 9:10 am
    Thanks Alex...