I have few questions to Selenium experts.

My homework

I am able to generate a script from selenium IDE and converted to
java.
I went to Eclipse and pasted the java code and ran on junit framework
with remote RC and it is working fine.

My questions

1. I want to use maven to deploy the java project and also how to
execute the selenium test cases (java based) via maven?.
2. Once step one is complete, then how to integrate in Hudson?

Please clarify my questions. If possible, provide me step by step
approch or if there is any documentation, let me know. I took sample
from internet, but it did not contain top to botton approch.

Thanks in advance

  • Krishnan Mahadevan at May 14, 2012 at 8:00 am
    Since this is coming up every now and then, I thought I would probably
    consolidate all that I know about this and put up a post on my blog.

    Take a look here :
    http://rationaleemotions.wordpress.com/2012/05/14/continuous-integration-with-selenium/

    Thanks & Regards
    Krishnan Mahadevan

    "All the desirable things in life are either illegal, expensive, fattening
    or in love with someone else!"

    I have few questions to Selenium experts.

    My homework

    I am able to generate a script from selenium IDE and converted to
    java.
    I went to Eclipse and pasted the java code and ran on junit framework
    with remote RC and it is working fine.

    My questions

    1. I want to use maven to deploy the java project and also how to
    execute the selenium test cases (java based) via maven?.
    2. Once step one is complete, then how to integrate in Hudson?

    Please clarify my questions. If possible, provide me step by step
    approch or if there is any documentation, let me know. I took sample
    from internet, but it did not contain top to botton approch.

    Thanks in advance

  • Mark Collin at May 14, 2012 at 8:23 am
    I have a selenium maven template available here:

    https://github.com/Ardesco/Selenium-Maven-Template

    You should be able to just check that out and start adding tests into the
    src/tests/java folder. There is an example one in there to start you off.

    I have few questions to Selenium experts.

    My homework

    I am able to generate a script from selenium IDE and converted to java.
    I went to Eclipse and pasted the java code and ran on junit framework with
    remote RC and it is working fine.

    My questions

    1. I want to use maven to deploy the java project and also how to execute
    the selenium test cases (java based) via maven?.
    2. Once step one is complete, then how to integrate in Hudson?

    Please clarify my questions. If possible, provide me step by step approch or
    if there is any documentation, let me know. I took sample from internet, but
    it did not contain top to botton approch.

    Thanks in advance

  • Krishnan Mahadevan at May 14, 2012 at 8:26 am
    And here's another one : https://github.com/freynaud/testng-support/wiki

    Thanks & Regards
    Krishnan Mahadevan

    "All the desirable things in life are either illegal, expensive, fattening
    or in love with someone else!"

    On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 1:53 PM, Mark Collin
[...]

  • Krishnan Mahadevan at May 14, 2012 at 8:30 am
    Mark,
    Just a suggestion.
    Perhaps you could have this published in some Maven repo as a template, so
    that people could merely use a maven archetype generate command and get
    started with using it straight out of the box.

    On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 1:53 PM, Mark Collin <mark.collin@lazeryattack.com
[...]

  • Mark Collin at May 14, 2012 at 8:45 am
    There is nothing to publish, this is literally just a POM file that sets
    dependencies for a maven project and has a couple of directories created in
    a maven project file structure so people use the correct file structure.

    People should be checking this out (or downloading it) and using the POM
    file and directory structure as a starting point that they can add to if
    they want to use it.

    What will go up to maven central is
    https://github.com/Ardesco/selenium-standalone-server-plugin when I get
    around to finishing it. The idea of that is a plugin that will
    automatically download the chromedriver and IE driver (and potentially more)
    executables because right now there is a manual download and configure step
    for maven projects which I think shouldn't be there (Kind of goes against
    the point of using maven IMHO).

    I have few questions to Selenium experts.

    My homework

    I am able to generate a script from selenium IDE and converted to java.
    I went to Eclipse and pasted the java code and ran on junit framework with
    remote RC and it is working fine.

    My questions

    1. I want to use maven to deploy the java project and also how to execute
    the selenium test cases (java based) via maven?.
    2. Once step one is complete, then how to integrate in Hudson?

    Please clarify my questions. If possible, provide me step by step approch or
    if there is any documentation, let me know. I took sample from internet, but
    it did not contain top to botton approch.

    Thanks in advance

  • Krishnan Mahadevan at May 14, 2012 at 9:22 am
    Mark,
    I was hinting at the part wherein you have made some examples also
    available as part of this template.
    If this is published onto a Maven nexus repo as an archetype, then anyone
    creating a project using this archetype, would be having access to the
    samples that go with it as well.

    This is something that we have been doing within our org, so that people
    can start off by referring to some examples etc.,

    I have seen it make people's lives easier (coz there is always a constant
    hunt for some demo code to get started and I felt that this would be the
    perfect way of bundling examples, along with the template).

    Thanks & Regards
    Krishnan Mahadevan

    "All the desirable things in life are either illegal, expensive, fattening
    or in love with someone else!"

    On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 2:15 PM, Mark Collin
    There is nothing to publish, this is literally just a POM file that sets
    dependencies for a maven project and has a couple of directories created in
    a maven project file structure so people use the correct file structure.**
    **

    ** **

[...]

  • Mark Collin at May 14, 2012 at 9:45 am
    The only example in that template is the google cheese one from the Selenium
    Documentation (which is really there to just show where you should put tests
    and to enable people to run a test and see firefox popping up so that they
    know it works).

    I guess I remain unconvinced that this particular template would add
    anything useful as it is so basic, it's using the standard maven project
    structure that all maven projects should use and a minimal POM that is about
    as uncomplicated as it gets.