Dear Seleniumers:

I'm using the test runner bundled with Play Framework, and I have an
ancillary question before the main one:

- What is the language appearing inside the #{selenium 'test...'}
tag? It _should_ be JavaScript, but I can't seem to make
functions or logic in it. No matter how much fun step-by-step
tests are, logic is still important! If this irritation is
Play's fault, can I bypass their script language and use a
'real' Selenium layer?

The main question:

If I run Selenium tests on the /@tests page, and if they fault...
...during the split second when they fault, the REASON for the fault
is VISIBLE in the target website <frame> in the lower half of the
browser.

Then the test runner responds to the fault by CLOSING that <frame>,
and scrolling to the decorated row of the test step. In other words,
it erases the bad answer, and displays the innocent question - the
part I already know. This is a spectacular fail of testing feedback
principles. I'm forced to go screwing around with the code, adding
trace statements, just to get some visibility into the problem. (Or -
even worse - manually test!)

I would guess there's only one line of code to tweak to "fix" this. (I
don't mind if "fix" means "clobber the web page but at least I can see
the lower <frame>".)

Before I go in after it, has anyone already solved this?

--
Phlip
http://elaborateart.webcomics-x.com/2011/09/15/

  • Simon Stewart at May 13, 2012 at 7:18 pm
    You may have more luck on the Play user groups. If you're keen to use
    selenium without the play framework (which is easy enough to do!) then
    consider writing normal junit tests and using the selenium webdriver
    APIs introduced in selenium 2.

    Simon