Hello Everyone,

I have looked across all posts I still cannot get this to work.
I have a GRID instance set up on one machine, and have a node
configured on another.

I have created a json config file for the node, and tried to pass the
location of the chromedriver in that, however its still complaining
that it cannot find it.

Here is the error:
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: The path to the
chromedriver executa
ble must be set by the webdriver.chrome.driver system property; for
more informa
tion, see http://code.google.com/p/selenium/wiki/ChromeDriver. The
latest versio
n can be downloaded from http://code.google.com/p/chromedriver/downloads/list

Here is my json config:

{
"capabilities": [
{
"browserName": "firefox",
"maxInstances": 5,
"version": "3.6",
"seleniumProtocol": "WebDriver",
"platform": "WINDOWS"
},
{
"browserName": "internet explorer",
"maxInstances": 5,
"version": "8",
"seleniumProtocol": "WebDriver"
},
{
"browserName": "chrome",
"maxInstances": 5,
"seleniumProtocol": "WebDriver",
"version": "16"
}
],
"configuration": {
"proxy": "org.openqa.grid.selenium.proxy.DefaultRemoteProxy",
"maxSession": 10,
"port": 5555,
"host": "SG-W7-1",
"register": true,
"registerCycle": 5000,
"hubPort": 4444,
"hub": "http://sg-server:4444/wd/hub",
"webdriver.chrome.driver": "C:\\Users\\selenium.user\\Desktop\
\chromedriver_win_19.0.1068.0\\chromedriver.exe"

And here is my driver creation code:
webDriver = new RemoteWebDriver(new Uri(remoteServer), capabilities);

Capabilities in this instance just exists of a browsername, version
and OS.

Hope one you can assist.

Regards

  • Mike Riley at May 11, 2012 at 3:55 pm
    Try this:
    PATH=%PATH%;C:\Users\selenium.user\Desktop\chromedriver_win_19.0.1068.0

    No go forth and execute, my son!

    Just edit the Environment variables for the system and every program will
    have this in their PATH automatically, but try it from the command line
    first.

    I also suggest keeping your current Selenium files in a standard directory
    and not one with a version number, or you will be changing this PATH for
    every release. I keep copies in directories with the version number and
    copy them into my standard location once they have been vetted.

    Mike
[...]

  • Richard Bradshaw at May 11, 2012 at 6:15 pm
    Thanks for a quick reply mike, I actually got around this by ignoring
    the grid instance and going try to a chromeDriver instance.

    However is it the case that I can get the selenium node to start the
    Chrome driver?
    So I don't have to have the location of the driver in my json config
    if I can get the PATH to work?

    Yes i do the same with the selenium.jar this was merely trying to test
    my driver control code, they discovered that chromeDriver doesn't work
    like Firefox or IE.

  • Mike Riley at May 11, 2012 at 9:51 pm
    I don't do anything to run Chrome via RemoteWebDriver other than have it in
    my PATH. The Node starts it when I start a session with the Chrome browser
    (I assume).

    Mike
    Thanks for a quick reply mike, I actually got around this by ignoring
    the grid instance and going try to a chromeDriver instance.

    However is it the case that I can get the selenium node to start the
    Chrome driver?
    So I don't have to have the location of the driver in my json config
    if I can get the PATH to work?

    Yes i do the same with the selenium.jar this was merely trying to test
    my driver control code, they discovered that chromeDriver doesn't work
    like Firefox or IE.
  • Richard Bradshaw at May 14, 2012 at 9:11 am
    Just incase this helps anyone, or you are also a numpty.
    Turns out on my VM that i need to reboot before the system will read
    anything new from the PATH.

    All sorted now.
    Cheers

  • Krishnan Mahadevan at May 14, 2012 at 9:18 am
    Richard,
    Not necessarily true. Any changes to the PATH environment variable to be
    reflected within an application (lets say eclipse for eg.,) merely requires
    the application to be respawned so that it reads the system variables once
    again.

    Thanks & Regards
    Krishnan Mahadevan

    "All the desirable things in life are either illegal, expensive, fattening
    or in love with someone else!"