I'm trying to experiment with reactors (on our existing and working system;
running salt 2014.1.13 (Hydrogen)).

I go to one of the minions and say (straight out of the Salt-Essentials
book):

*sudo salt-call event.send example/test '{my_key: some_value}'*

[DEBUG ] Configuration file path: /etc/salt/minion

[DEBUG ] Reading configuration from /etc/salt/minion

[DEBUG ] Including configuration from '/etc/salt/minion.d/grains.conf'

[DEBUG ] Reading configuration from /etc/salt/minion.d/grains.conf

[DEBUG ] Including configuration from '/etc/salt/minion.d/mine.conf'

[DEBUG ] Reading configuration from /etc/salt/minion.d/mine.conf

[DEBUG ] Loaded minion key: /etc/salt/pki/minion/minion.pem

[DEBUG ] Decrypting the current master AES key

[DEBUG ] Loaded minion key: /etc/salt/pki/minion/minion.pem

[DEBUG ] Loaded minion key: /etc/salt/pki/minion/minion.pem

[DEBUG ] Loaded localemod as virtual locale

[DEBUG ] Loaded groupadd as virtual group

[DEBUG ] Loaded rh_service as virtual service

[DEBUG ] Loaded yumpkg as virtual pkg

[DEBUG ] Loaded grub_legacy as virtual grub

[DEBUG ] Loaded linux_sysctl as virtual sysctl

[DEBUG ] Loaded linux_acl as virtual acl

[DEBUG ] Loaded parted as virtual partition

[DEBUG ] Loaded sysmod as virtual sys

[DEBUG ] Loaded rpm as virtual lowpkg

[DEBUG ] Loaded zcbuildout as virtual buildout

[DEBUG ] Loaded useradd as virtual user

[DEBUG ] Loaded rh_ip as virtual ip

[DEBUG ] Loaded cmdmod as virtual cmd

[DEBUG ] Loaded virtualenv_mod as virtual virtualenv

[DEBUG ] Loaded djangomod as virtual django

[DEBUG ] Loaded ldapmod as virtual ldap

[DEBUG ] Loaded couchdb_return as virtual couchdb

[DEBUG ] Loaded syslog_return as virtual syslog

[DEBUG ] Loaded carbon_return as virtual carbon

[DEBUG ] Loaded sqlite3_return as virtual sqlite3

[DEBUG ] Loaded saltmod as virtual salt

[DEBUG ] Loaded zcbuildout as virtual buildout

[DEBUG ] Loaded virtualenv_mod as virtual virtualenv

*Function event.send is not available*

When this happens I see a bunch of logs on the Master so it sure seems like
the minion sent *something* to the master....

2015-06-25 16:26:34,550 [salt.master
][INFO ] Clear payload received with command _auth

2015-06-25 16:26:34,550 [salt.master
][INFO ] Authentication request from {minion address}

2015-06-25 16:26:34,550 [salt.master
][INFO ] Authentication accepted from {minion address}

[DEBUG ] Decrypting the current master AES key

[DEBUG ] Loaded minion key: /etc/salt/pki/minion/minion.pem

2015-06-25 16:26:34,687 [salt.master
][INFO ] AES payload received with command _pillar

2015-06-25 16:26:34,700 [salt.utils.jinja
][DEBUG ] Jinja search path: ['/srv/pillar']

2015-06-25 16:26:34,702 [salt.template
][DEBUG ] Rendered data from file: /srv/pillar/top.sls:

I get the same Function is not available error whether I do or not have
anything in my salt-master reactor configuration.

Any help would be appreciated.

  • Colton Myers at Jul 1, 2015 at 6:32 pm
    The function `event.send` was added in 2014.7. You should use
    `event.fire_master` under 2014.1 versions.

    Hope that helps!

    --
    Colton Myers
    Platform Engineer, SaltStack