All - after upgrading to 2015.5 ... there is "new" behavior in the salt
command output that is driving me nuts. I haven't yet figured out how to
turn it off ...

In previous versions if you ran a command, only minions that returned data
were actually output with their results. Now with 2015.5 - those minions
return ... plus any and all minions that are "Not Connected" ...

In our environment - we have a LOT of rapidly spun up and deleted VM
instances that register salt keys - and hence ... have 100s (current count
is 1108) that return ... Frankly - I don't care!

HOW do I disable this new "behavior"? I *only* want output if a minion
matched the targeting rules and returned something (or returned False).

I realize we need to clean up our key management! :-)

Thank you in advance,
~~shane

--
"The farther one goes, the less one knows." —Tao Te Ching

  • Seth Miller at Jun 20, 2015 at 8:35 pm
    Try the --hide-timeout option. It claims that it "Instead of showing the
    return data for all minions. This option prints only the online minions
    which could be reached."

    See http://docs.saltstack.com/en/latest/ref/cli/salt.html

    Personally, I prefer the default to output failures and allow excluding
    them. Silent failures when you're not expecting them worry me.

[...]

    quasi-regular basis. There have been horrific squeals of confused agony
    over the last couple years wrt console users not being able to "see"
    minions that *should* be up but aren't responding--thus the change. I
    don't think anyone actually posited the (then) default being superior in
    any way.

    -S
[...]

    You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I
    things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So, now I
    take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe.

  • Colton Myers at Jun 26, 2015 at 9:25 pm
    `show_timeout: False` in your master config does the same thing as
    `--hide-timeout` but globally.

    --
    Colton Myers
    Platform Engineer, SaltStack