I get the followig message when I start a highstate on a Windows minion
using 2015.5.0, getting pillar data and states from a Git repo:

     Data failed to compile:
----------
     Pillar failed to render with the following messages:
----------
     Specified SLS 'data' in environment 'base' is not available on the
salt master

But the file IS there and a state.show_highstate runs without problems
and shows the expected result.

When running the highstate with logging set to DEBUG, I also see that
the GPG encrypted value in data/init.sls in succesfully decrypted prior
to the error message.

Any hints what could be wrong?

Thanks...

     Dirk
--

*Dirk Heinrichs*, Senior Systems Engineer, Engineering Solutions
*Recommind GmbH*, Von-Liebig-Straße 1, 53359 Rheinbach

  • Colton Myers at Jun 15, 2015 at 5:35 pm
    I think show_highstate might not actually trigger a pillar refresh, which
    is why it's not erroring our there. But the actual highstate blocks on the
    pillar refresh, thus the error. If you trigger a manual refresh via
    `saltutil.refresh_pillar`, do you see any errors in the master log related
    to that pillar generation?

    --
    Colton Myers
    Platform Engineer, SaltStack
[...]

  • Dirk Heinrichs at Jun 16, 2015 at 6:02 am

    I think show_highstate might not actually trigger a pillar refresh,
    which is why it's not erroring our there. But the actual highstate
    blocks on the pillar refresh, thus the error. If you trigger a manual
    refresh via `saltutil.refresh_pillar`, do you see any errors in the
    master log related to that pillar generation?
    Yes, I see the same error in the log when running saltutil.refresh_pillar:

    [salt.pillar ][CRITICAL][11012] Pillar render error: Specified SLS
    'data' in environment 'base' is not available on the salt master

    Bye...

         Dirk
    --

    *Dirk Heinrichs*, Senior Systems Engineer, Engineering Solutions
    *Recommind GmbH*, Von-Liebig-Straße 1, 53359 Rheinbach
    *Tel*: +49 2226 1596666 (Ansage) 1149
    *Email*: dhs@recommind.com
    *Skype*: dirk.heinrichs.recommind
    www.recommind.com <http://www.recommind.com>

  • Dirk Heinrichs at Jun 16, 2015 at 6:26 am

    I think show_highstate might not actually trigger a pillar refresh,
    which is why it's not erroring our there. But the actual highstate
    blocks on the pillar refresh, thus the error. If you trigger a manual
    refresh via `saltutil.refresh_pillar`, do you see any errors in the
    master log related to that pillar generation?
    Yes, I see the same error in the log when running saltutil.refresh_pillar:

    [salt.pillar ][CRITICAL][11012] Pillar render error: Specified
    SLS 'data' in environment 'base' is not available on the salt master
    However, state.show_highstate does trigger a pillar refresh. If I add a
    new key/value to pillar/data/init.sls and reference it in
    salt/data/init.sls, commit, push and run "show_highstate", it shows the
    expected new key and value, although the error is again logged in the
    master's log.

    Additional info:

    refresh_pillar returns "True" despite the error in the log.

    Bye...

         Dirk
    --

    *Dirk Heinrichs*, Senior Systems Engineer, Engineering Solutions
    *Recommind GmbH*, Von-Liebig-Straße 1, 53359 Rheinbach
    *Tel*: +49 2226 1596666 (Ansage) 1149
    *Email*: dhs@recommind.com
    *Skype*: dirk.heinrichs.recommind
    www.recommind.com <http://www.recommind.com>

  • Tim H Baker at Jun 16, 2015 at 6:29 am
    Does data/init.sls include another state file using 'include' ? I think
    there's an issue where, if the included file is not found, the
    error message will seemingly indicate that data (or data/init.sls) is not
    found, rather than the included file...

    cheers,
    Tim

    *Email*: d...@recommind.com <javascript:>
    *Skype*: dirk.heinrichs.recommind
    www.recommind.com
  • Dirk Heinrichs at Jun 16, 2015 at 6:47 am

    Does data/init.sls include another state file using 'include' ? I
    think there's an issue where, if the included file is not found, the
    error message will seemingly indicate that data (or data/init.sls) is
    not found, rather than the included file...
    Yes, it does. But the included state ("test") IS there.

    Bye...

         Dirk
    --

    *Dirk Heinrichs*, Senior Systems Engineer, Engineering Solutions
    *Recommind GmbH*, Von-Liebig-Straße 1, 53359 Rheinbach
    *Tel*: +49 2226 1596666 (Ansage) 1149
    *Email*: dhs@recommind.com
    *Skype*: dirk.heinrichs.recommind
    www.recommind.com <http://www.recommind.com>

  • Colton Myers at Jun 22, 2015 at 6:37 pm
    Hrm, this one does seem pretty odd. I think we should create an issue on
    Github and continue the conversation there. Something's up, we just have to
    track down what it is.

    --
    Colton Myers
    Platform Engineer, SaltStack
    @basepi on Twitter/Github/IRC
    Does data/init.sls include another state file using 'include' ? I think
    there's an issue where, if the included file is not found, the
    error message will seemingly indicate that data (or data/init.sls) is not
    found, rather than the included file...

    Yes, it does. But the included state ("test") IS there.

    Bye...

    Dirk
    --

    *Dirk Heinrichs*, Senior Systems Engineer, Engineering Solutions
    *Recommind GmbH*, Von-Liebig-Straße 1, 53359 Rheinbach
    *Tel*: +49 2226 1596666 (Ansage) 1149
    *Email*: dhs@recommind.com
    *Skype*: dirk.heinrichs.recommind
    www.recommind.com

  • Dirk Heinrichs at Jun 23, 2015 at 6:35 am

    Hrm, this one does seem pretty odd. I think we should create an issue
    on Github and continue the conversation there. Something's up, we just
    have to track down what it is.
    https://github.com/saltstack/salt/issues/24884

    Thanks...

         Dirk