Suppose I have an orchestration file that runs the salt-formula's salt.master state. Suppose also that I've made some pillar change that results in an update to the salt-master's config file, which in turn causes the salt-master service to restart.

What happens to the rest of the orchestration run? In particular, what happens if the config change is to something like GitFS remotes, where new files may be available to minions after the salt.master state runs?

--

Andrew

  • Colton Myers at Mar 24, 2015 at 8:15 pm
    That's a good question.

    I think the orchestration run will probably fail to continue to run, likely with unhelpful error messages, because I don't think orchestration has been coded with master restarts in mind.

    What I would recommend is scheduling the master restart for after the orchestration run is expected to have ended. You can use the `at` command to schedule the master restart for a few minutes in the future, and then it will restart after the orchestration has successfully completed.

    --
    Colton Myers
    Platform Engineer, SaltStack