I have a couple questions about wheel modules.

    1. What is the difference between wheel modules and runner modules?
    2. Is the salt-wheel script supposed to be available in salt 2014.7.0 in
    epel6?

Thanks,
wt

  • Seth House at Jan 29, 2015 at 12:32 am
    Warren, sorry for the slow reply.

    Wheel modules are intended to be called programmatically from Salt's Python
    API or Salt's REST API and do not have a direct CLI equivalent. (I suspect
    the CLI examples in the docs were added to prevent a test from
    failing that verifies all modules have an example. They should probably be
    updated/changed.) Wheel modules are used to manage the Salt Master.

    You are right to wonder as there is a fair bit of conceptual overlap
    between wheel modules and runner modules and they even share a good bit of
    backend code. Runner modules have historically not been ideal for
    programmatic use; wheel modules were added specifically for programmatic
    use. In the next Salt feature release runner modules are getting a bit
    update to make them more flexible. There was a brief discussion about
    deprecating wheel modules in favor of runner modules although that is not
    on our immediate roadmap it may happen at some point.
    I have a couple questions about wheel modules.

    1. What is the difference between wheel modules and runner modules?
    2. Is the salt-wheel script supposed to be available in salt 2014.7.0
    in epel6?

    Thanks,
    wt
  • Warren Turkal at Jan 29, 2015 at 5:12 pm
    Well, FWIW, I am using the runner via the Python API because things like
    the jobs runner don't have a wheel equivalent.

    wt
[...]

  • Seth House at Jan 29, 2015 at 7:58 pm
    That is appropriate. Although runners were not originally intended to be
    called programmatically they can be, and must be, for certain operations.
    Count on those interfaces being tightened and tidied over the next year or
    so.
[...]

  • Warren Turkal at Jan 29, 2015 at 11:24 pm
    Oh, I will. I currently have a collectd plugin that I have written to get
    some basic stats out of salt like the number of highstates that are running
    too long and the number of nodes considered down by the master.

    Related to this, I would love to see things like manage.down sped up. Doing
    a test.ping at the time of the manage.down call seems wasteful when the
    master could just do a heartbeat with the minion (which I assume it already
    does) and keep track of who is currently connected.

    wt
[...]

  • Tim O'Guin at Jan 30, 2015 at 5:04 am
    Turning on presence_events in the master config essentiality serves this
    purpose, but, as far as I know, this presence system isn't available via
    any modules or runners.

    If it could be accessed via a runner then it would eliminate the need to
    send out a test.ping to every minion.
[...]

  • Seth House at Jan 31, 2015 at 8:33 pm
    Turning the presence system on is definitely the way to go if you're
    looking to avoid test.ping. You can call the `manage.present` runner
    to access that system from other modules.
    Turning on presence_events in the master config essentiality serves this
    purpose, but, as far as I know, this presence system isn't available via any
    modules or runners.

    If it could be accessed via a runner then it would eliminate the need to
    send out a test.ping to every minion.
  • Warren Turkal at Feb 2, 2015 at 5:23 pm
    Is there an equivalent for manage.down?

    wt
    Turning the presence system on is definitely the way to go if you're
    looking to avoid test.ping. You can call the `manage.present` runner
    to access that system from other modules.
    Turning on presence_events in the master config essentiality serves this
    purpose, but, as far as I know, this presence system isn't available via any
    modules or runners.

    If it could be accessed via a runner then it would eliminate the need to
    send out a test.ping to every minion.

    Warren Turkal

  • Tim O'Guin at Feb 2, 2015 at 6:20 pm
    There are a handful of new presence functions in 2015.2, including
    manage.not_present.
    Turning the presence system on is definitely the way to go if you're
    looking to avoid test.ping. You can call the `manage.present` runner
    to access that system from other modules.
    Turning on presence_events in the master config essentiality serves this
    purpose, but, as far as I know, this presence system isn't available via any
    modules or runners.

    If it could be accessed via a runner then it would eliminate the need to
    send out a test.ping to every minion.

    Warren Turkal

  • Warren Turkal at Feb 2, 2015 at 7:24 pm
    Guess I'll have to wait to try all that for 2015.2. :) Thanks for pointing
    it out. Sounds nice.

    wt

    On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 11:23 AM, Warren Turkal <w...@signalfuse.com

    On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 10:04 PM, Tim O'Guin <timo...@gmail.com