sudo salt '*' cmd.run "rm -i /tmp/zzz" stdin='y\n'
works from the command line

but when I try this from a python script :
rc = client.cmd('*', 'cmd.run', [cmd_to_run], stdin="y\n")

It does not work

Is it possible to run such an interative remote command from a python
script?

  • Stephen Spencer at Dec 10, 2014 at 3:20 pm
    This isn't exactly an answer to your question, but you could use the -f
    flag to rm.

    -S
    sudo salt '*' cmd.run "rm -i /tmp/zzz" stdin='y\n'
    works from the command line

    but when I try this from a python script :
    rc = client.cmd('*', 'cmd.run', [cmd_to_run], stdin="y\n")

    It does not work

    Is it possible to run such an interative remote command from a python
    script?

  • Ram at Dec 11, 2014 at 3:22 am
    I just used the rm -i as an example.. I was looking for a general solution
    for other commands that dont have a quiet option.

    On Dec 9, 2014 9:53 AM, "Raghuram BK" <r...@fractalio.com <javascript:>>
    sudo salt '*' cmd.run "rm -i /tmp/zzz" stdin='y\n'
    works from the command line

    but when I try this from a python script :
    rc = client.cmd('*', 'cmd.run', [cmd_to_run], stdin="y\n")

    It does not work

    Is it possible to run such an interative remote command from a python
    script?

  • Colton Myers at Jan 5, 2015 at 11:31 pm
    I've heard good things about piping the `yes` command into your command:

    sudo salt '*' cmd.run "/usr/bin/yes | rm -i /tmp/zzz"

    --
    Colton Myers
    Platform Engineer, SaltStack