To test salt-stack I would like to copy a config file to another distant
one (I am testing master and minion in localhost)

*/etc/salt/minion :*
master: 127.0.0.1
file_roots:
base:
- /srv/salt/base

*/etc/salt/master:*
interface: 0.0.0.0

*The /srv/salt tree :*
# tree srv/
srv/
├── salt
│ └── base
│ └── env
│ ├── envpy.template
│ └── init.sls
└── top.sls

*and the template file :*
# cat /srv/salt/base/env/envpy.template
This is a test !

*and this is the init file:*
# cat /srv/salt/base/env/init.sls

/home/myHome/env.py:
file:
- managed
- source: salt://base/env/envpy.template

*and finally the top file:*
# cat /srv/salt/top.sls
base:
'*':
- base.env

*Running salt highstate:*
# salt '*' state.highstate
myHost:
----------
ID: states
Function: no.None
Result: False
Comment: No Top file or external nodes data matches found
Started:
Duration:
Changes:

Summary

  • Viq at Nov 19, 2014 at 3:12 pm

    To test salt-stack I would like to copy a config file to another distant one
    (I am testing master and minion in localhost)

    /etc/salt/minion :
    master: 127.0.0.1
    file_roots:
    base:
    - /srv/salt/base
    file_roots is a master setting.
    /etc/salt/master:
    interface: 0.0.0.0
    The /srv/salt tree :
    # tree srv/
    srv/
    ├── salt
    │ └── base
    │ └── env
    │ ├── envpy.template
    │ └── init.sls
    └── top.sls
    and the template file :
    # cat /srv/salt/base/env/envpy.template
    This is a test !
    and this is the init file:
    # cat /srv/salt/base/env/init.sls

    /home/myHome/env.py:
    file:
    - managed
    - source: salt://base/env/envpy.template
    Since you defined file_roots like you did, this should be
    salt://env/envpy.template
    and finally the top file:
    # cat /srv/salt/top.sls
    base:
    '*':
    - base.env
    Since you defined file_roots like you did, this should be in
    /srv/salt/base/top.sls
    Running salt highstate:
    # salt '*' state.highstate
    myHost:
    ----------
    ID: states
    Function: no.None
    Result: False
    Comment: No Top file or external nodes data matches found
    Started:
    Duration:
    Changes:

    Summary
    ------------
    Succeeded: 0
    Failed: 1
    Total states run: 1
    Do you have any idea why I've got this error ?
    Not really with the config you have... But either try the same after
    removing file_roots from minion config, or try with the changes I
    suggested after moving file_roots to master config.
    --
    viq

  • EL Amri Aymen at Nov 20, 2014 at 10:20 am
    Thanks.