I am evaluating Salt in the context of a cluster and would like to use one
certificate to authenticate all my nodes to the Salt master.

Is this possible? Can anyone point me to some good resources on this topic?

I have this working in Puppet.

~Lawrence

  • Volker Schwicking at Oct 10, 2014 at 7:47 am
    Hi,
    I am evaluating Salt in the context of a cluster and would like to use
    one certificate to authenticate all my nodes to the Salt master.

    Is this possible? Can anyone point me to some good resources on this topic?
    The salt-master does not verify if a minions public key is unique. It
    just confirms, that a pubkey received for authentication is the same as
    the pubkey for that minion-id on disk.

    As long as your minions have unique minion-ids and your minions are all
    pre-seeded with the same keypair, it will work fine.

    Obviously this is a questionable approach from a security point of view,
    but if you dont have to worry about that its ok.

    - felskrone