I am running into problems with using the salt cloud and salt api. Due to
the time it takes of rolling out a VM I am using the local_async client
since that allows for asynchronous requests. However the problem I am
running into is how to pass along the parameters.

I always require a tgt parameter as far as I can see. However that makes no
sense since I am creating a new server.

Furthermore I am unsure how to give the arguments for cloud.profile. Do I
use args? kwargs? I constantly get errors stating that I ive 0 parameters.

I am building a simple API client in NodeJS and using JSON as both input
and output. Does anyone have a simple example on how to do this?

  • Joseph Hall at Sep 29, 2014 at 2:10 pm
    It sounds like you're using the cloud execution module, but need the
    runner. Either way, kwargs are recommended.

    http://docs.saltstack.com/en/latest/topics/cloud/salt.html#runner-module

    It looks like that page could use some more examples, but in the
    meantime I can show you this:

    https://github.com/saltstack-formulas/ec2-autoscale-reactor

    I'm sure some people on the list are getting sick of me linking to
    that every few weeks, but it really does have some good examples in
    it. It uses salt-api directly via webhooks, and makes use of both the
    runner and the wheel functionality in salt-api.

    I am running into problems with using the salt cloud and salt api. Due to
    the time it takes of rolling out a VM I am using the local_async client
    since that allows for asynchronous requests. However the problem I am
    running into is how to pass along the parameters.

    I always require a tgt parameter as far as I can see. However that makes no
    sense since I am creating a new server.

    Furthermore I am unsure how to give the arguments for cloud.profile. Do I
    use args? kwargs? I constantly get errors stating that I ive 0 parameters.

    I am building a simple API client in NodeJS and using JSON as both input and
    output. Does anyone have a simple example on how to do this?

    "In order to create, you have to have the willingness, the desire to
    be challenged, to be learning." -- Ferran Adria (speaking at Harvard,
    2011)

  • Mark van der Walle at Sep 29, 2014 at 2:17 pm
    The problem with the runner is that when using it to deploy a VM using
    salt-cloud it takes a while. That is why I am trying to do so with an
    asynchronous approach. There is no async runner afaik?

    On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 3:03 AM, Mark van der Walle <ma...@crowdynews.com
    I am running into problems with using the salt cloud and salt api. Due to
    the time it takes of rolling out a VM I am using the local_async client
    since that allows for asynchronous requests. However the problem I am
    running into is how to pass along the parameters.

    I always require a tgt parameter as far as I can see. However that makes no
    sense since I am creating a new server.

    Furthermore I am unsure how to give the arguments for cloud.profile. Do I
    use args? kwargs? I constantly get errors stating that I ive 0
    parameters.
    I am building a simple API client in NodeJS and using JSON as both input and
    output. Does anyone have a simple example on how to do this?

    "In order to create, you have to have the willingness, the desire to
    be challenged, to be learning." -- Ferran Adria (speaking at Harvard,
    2011)
  • Joseph Hall at Sep 29, 2014 at 2:20 pm
    There is not at this point. The execution module is a better bet for
    that right now.
[...]

  • Mark van der Walle at Sep 29, 2014 at 2:24 pm
    Thank you for the information. It is too bad that this is not better
    documented as for us using the salt-api is the best approach for us in
    using salt. I will have to think on what way to solve this.

    On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 8:17 AM, Mark van der Walle <ma...@crowdynews.com

    wrote:
[...]

  • Seth House at Oct 9, 2014 at 11:32 pm
    Quick note that async runner execution has been added for the upcoming
    2014.7 release.

    http://docs.saltstack.com/en/latest/ref/clients/index.html#salt.runner.RunnerClient.cmd_async