I have the following environments on my office.

Prod
QA
Dev
DR

each environment has many application and databases

how can I setup salt for this environment.

Can some one give me a clear picture on how to do this.

Currently my coworker has the following setup. its too confusing and risky
to run the states.

one master server

file root:
/srv/salt
   then we have one top file here

file root top file contains all application and db stuff. i am very
confused.

pillar root:
  /sr/salt/pillar
   then we have one top file here

in one pillar file we have all application and db related stuff.

when i run a state.highstate i really worried about.

what is the best way to restructure this? please advise.

  • Daniel Bryan at Sep 17, 2014 at 10:45 pm
    If you really want strong security, use a different salt master in each
    environment. Only set the file roots to include the states for that
    environment (better yet, only deploy the states for that environment to it).

    This is our file roots (for development, for example):

    file_roots:
       development:
         - /srv/salt/states/env_development
         - /srv/salt/states/base
       base:
         - /srv/states/states/base
    pillar_roots:
       development:
         - /srv/salt/pillar/env_development
         - /srv/salt/pillar/base
       base:
         - /srv/salt/pillar/base

    And then saltis laid out like this. Note the top file for each environment,
    but none for base:

    .
    ├── README.md
    ├── pillar
    │ ├── env_development
    │ │ ├── api
    │ │ ├── core
    │ │ ├── db
    │ │ ├── devops
    │ │ ├── dexter
    │ │ ├── pkgs
    │ │ ├── service
    │ │ ├── site
    │ │ ├── *top.sls*
    │ │ └── users
    │ └── env_staging
    │ ├── api
    │ ├── core
    │ ├── db
    │ ├── devops
    │ ├── pkgs
    │ ├── service
    │ ├── site
    │ ├── *top.sls*
    │ └── users
    └── states
         ├── base
         │ ├── _grains
         │ ├── api
         │ ├── backups
         │ ├── common
         │ ├── core
         │ ├── db
         │ ├── devops
         │ ├── pkgs
         │ ├── service
         │ ├── site
         │ └── utils
         ├── env_development
         │ ├── <snip - custom dev states that override base>
         │ └── *top.sls*
         └── env_staging
             └── *top.sls*