What would you think of a "salt-FOO init" command that would initialise a local
salt repository layout that conforms to best practices? It could contain
boilerplate to build documentation from your states, pillar, .. and allows users
to add, say, "templates", "external grains", "py pillar", ... easily?

So they would, for example, run "salt init formula NAME" and get new boilerplate
that conforms to best practices in CWD/formulas/NAME-formula such as:

     - NAME-formula/{map.jinja,README,pillar.example,FOO/init.sls,…}

I just got to the point where I would like a better tool than "cp" when I want
to base a new state, pillar, ... on a "template".
--
Wolodja <babilen@gmail.com>

4096R/CAF14EFC
081C B7CD FF04 2BA9 94EA 36B2 8B7F 7D30 CAF1 4EFC

Search Discussions

  • Arnold Bechtoldt at Sep 10, 2014 at 5:54 pm
    Hi,

    I simply cp my template change the some strings and use it then for
    setting up the formula:

    <https://github.com/bechtoldt/template-formula>

    It should to be easy to build a script that acts like `puppet module
    generate foo/bar` does.

    --
    Arnold Bechtoldt

    Karlsruhe, Germany
    What would you think of a "salt-FOO init" command that would initialise a local
    salt repository layout that conforms to best practices? It could contain
    boilerplate to build documentation from your states, pillar, .. and allows users
    to add, say, "templates", "external grains", "py pillar", ... easily?

    So they would, for example, run "salt init formula NAME" and get new boilerplate
    that conforms to best practices in CWD/formulas/NAME-formula such as:

    - NAME-formula/{map.jinja,README,pillar.example,FOO/init.sls,…}

    I just got to the point where I would like a better tool than "cp" when I want
    to base a new state, pillar, ... on a "template".

groupsalt-users @
postedSep 10, '14 at 1:58p
activeSep 10, '14 at 5:54p