I need to implement GUI for watching information about minions and
controlling them (some basic functions like reboot and file copying). My
master is headless and GUI would be on one of the minions (which is not
always turned on).

I wanted to implement the program as a PyQt application (to have a nice
cross-platform interface and direct connection to the Salt Python API). But
I found that I can control master only via LocalClient which is obviously
should be created on a master.

I've tried to use peer communication via salt-call publish.publish, but it
works much slower (it seems that it's always 6 seconds slower, than the
execution via salt).

What can I do?

  • Benjamen Keroack at Sep 7, 2014 at 6:37 pm
    You could try Halite (the RESTful salt interface). Alternatively you'd need
    to set up some sort of server-client relationship between the LocalClient()
    code on the master and the GUI interface.
    I need to implement GUI for watching information about minions and
    controlling them (some basic functions like reboot and file copying). My
    master is headless and GUI would be on one of the minions (which is not
    always turned on).

    I wanted to implement the program as a PyQt application (to have a nice
    cross-platform interface and direct connection to the Salt Python API). But
    I found that I can control master only via LocalClient which is obviously
    should be created on a master.

    I've tried to use peer communication via salt-call publish.publish, but
    it works much slower (it seems that it's always 6 seconds slower, than the
    execution via salt).

    What can I do?
  • Roman Inflianskas at Sep 7, 2014 at 7:52 pm

[...]

    It seems complicated. RESTful interface is good for web applications. Just importing and calling Python functions seems much cleaner. Moreover I think that RESTful interface doesn't have all the features of Python API.

    I thought about creating a talking to a master via ZeroMQ connection. But it looks quite strange. We have a remote execution system, lets create one another to be able to execute remote execution functions remotely! Also that brings lot's of questions. How to make connections secure? How auth should work? Which protocol should I choose?
    --
    Regards, Roman Inflianskas

  • Benjamen Keroack at Sep 8, 2014 at 5:20 pm
    I agree it's not ideal. I have the same situation with my project
    (http://bitbucket.org/scorebig/elita). Unless/until someone implements some
    sort of RemoteClient() API, any applications utilizing salt have to run on
    the master.
[...]

  • Christian McHugh at Sep 9, 2014 at 10:33 pm
    In our environment, we just utilize the Salt API and make REST calls to the
    master. There is also the pepper project, that while immature might be able
    to help out: https://github.com/saltstack/pepper

  • Roman Inflianskas at Sep 10, 2014 at 8:09 am

    There is also the pepper project, that while immature might be able
    to help out: https://github.com/saltstack/pepper
    Thank you. Salt pepper looks promising. It's sad that it's only a pre-alpha version.

    Also, I don't like it's name. It's hard to find documentation by searching something like "salt grains" (the phrase is too general). "Salt pepper" is even worse. I know, I can search "saltstack".

    --
    Regards, Roman Inflianskas

  • Benjamen Keroack at Sep 10, 2014 at 12:22 pm
    Pepper looks interesting, but my initial reaction is I'm concerned about
    the latency of adding HTTP requests for every API call.