I'm looking into using salt stack in my current environment, which hosts a
couple hundred different applications. Each of these applications have
different environments specific to the application. Some have dev,
staging, and production, while other have additional environments like dev,
staging, qa, integration, production, etc. As such, I'd like to be able to
break up my "environments" by project, and then have the "environment (ie:
dev/staging/prod) as folders underneath the project. I envision something
like this:

/srv/salt/project1/dev
/srv/salt/project1/staging
/srv/salt/project1/prod
/srv/salt/project2/dev
/srv/salt/project2/staging
/srv/salt/project2/prod
etc...

I need to be able to push out some standard global configuration to all
servers, which it looks like I can do using the "base" environment.
  However, I'm struggling to figure out how I can separate the different
projects in a manageable way (I don't want to have to add every new project
to /etc/salt/master as a new environment). Each project may have
project-specific configuration that I don't want in the global configs.
  Are there any best practices for how to approach this?

Thanks,
Kyle

  • Colton Myers at Sep 5, 2014 at 10:49 pm
    I think we're going to have to have a pow wow at some point and get some of
    these best practices written up. But I will say this -- environments are
    designed to be flexible. That said, if they're not working for you, ditch
    them and use directories or whatever else you want to use instead.

    This might be helpful, though the example here is pretty small in scope:
    http://docs.saltstack.com/en/latest/topics/tutorials/states_pt4.html

    --
    Colton Myers