Hi Experts,

When we run Salt States using "salt-call state.sls <state name>" for multiple states at a time we are getting errors like below and it is failing. So, running multiple states at a time not supported? We are with Salt master & minion version of 2014.1.7.

We have actually scheduled running "state.sls" via scheduler and it is sometimes quite difficult to control the timing. Is there a way that we can work around this issue?

"The function "state.sls" is running as PID 5348 and was started at 2014, Aug 07 06:42:49.868240 with jid 20140807064249868240"

Thank you.

Regards,
Abul

  • Colton Myers at Aug 29, 2014 at 11:07 pm
    The state system is not architected with parallel execution in mind. Much
    like a package management system, the complexity would be too high. So we
    have a state lock in place which makes it so that multiple state runs
    cannot be run at the same time.

    I think what you're looking for is the `queue` argument [1]. Note that
    queued state runs don't timeout, so if a state run gets stuck, it will just
    wait forever. Open issue to fix is here [2].

    [1]:
    https://github.com/saltstack/salt/blob/c12f05f83a430b583c345aab729a4afe6f1afa68/salt/modules/state.py#L238-L243
    [2]: https://github.com/saltstack/salt/issues/12493

    --
    Colton Myers

    When we run Salt States using “salt-call state.sls <state name>” for
    multiple states at a time we are getting errors like below and it is
    failing. So, running multiple states at a time not supported? We are with
    Salt master & minion version of 2014.1.7.

    We have actually scheduled running “state.sls” via scheduler and it is
    sometimes quite difficult to control the timing. Is there a way that we can
    work around this issue?

    “The function "state.sls" is running as PID 5348 and was started at 2014,
    Aug 07 06:42:49.868240 with jid 20140807064249868240”

    Thank you.

    Regards,

    Abul

  • Ryan Lane at Aug 30, 2014 at 2:26 am
    In 2014.7 you can run state.sls with concurrent=True, but it's dangerous
    unless you know your states won't conflict with each other when you're
    running them concurrently.

    When we run Salt States using “salt-call state.sls <state name>” for
    multiple states at a time we are getting errors like below and it is
    failing. So, running multiple states at a time not supported? We are with
    Salt master & minion version of 2014.1.7.

    We have actually scheduled running “state.sls” via scheduler and it is
    sometimes quite difficult to control the timing. Is there a way that we can
    work around this issue?

    “The function "state.sls" is running as PID 5348 and was started at 2014,
    Aug 07 06:42:49.868240 with jid 20140807064249868240”

    Thank you.

    Regards,

    Abul

  • Benjamen Keroack at Aug 30, 2014 at 3:06 pm
    concurrent=True appears to be completely broken for Windows minions,
    according to my testing.

    On Thu, Aug 7, 2014 at 7:15 AM, Abul Barakath <Abul.B...@infor.com
    When we run Salt States using “salt-call state.sls <state name>” for
    multiple states at a time we are getting errors like below and it is
    failing. So, running multiple states at a time not supported? We are with
    Salt master & minion version of 2014.1.7.

    We have actually scheduled running “state.sls” via scheduler and it is
    sometimes quite difficult to control the timing. Is there a way that we can
    work around this issue?

    “The function "state.sls" is running as PID 5348 and was started at 2014,
    Aug 07 06:42:49.868240 with jid 20140807064249868240”

    Thank you.

    Regards,

    Abul

  • Weston McNamee at Jun 1, 2015 at 4:05 pm
    @Benjamen,

    Did you file a issue on the SaltStack github repo? If so, can you point me
    to it? I couldn't find one when I searched.
[...]

  • Ethan Erchinger at Aug 30, 2014 at 3:40 pm
    If all you want is to run multiple states, but not necessarily in parallel, just provide a comma separated list of states to run. As documented here.

    http://docs.saltstack.com/en/latest/ref/modules/all/salt.modules.state.html