I'm trying different ways to install Salt to decide which one suits our
needs.
First I tried the standard way (system repositories) but I didn't get the
last version.

Now I'm trying pip install.
I have installed it and didn't get any errors. But I can't find the master
or minion configuration files. (they are supposed to be on /etc/salt,
something like /etc/salt/master or /etc/salt/minion)
I could manage to get the files from the backups of a previous
installation, but I'd like to know if I'm supposed to get it somewhere
(http://docs.saltstack.com/en/latest/ref/configuration/examples.html) or if
it has been placed somewhere and I can't find it.

Thanks!

  • Colton Myers at Aug 7, 2014 at 10:50 pm
    The pip installation does not create those directories for you -- default
    directories and config files are left to the system packages. You can just
    create the /etc/salt/ directory and put your minion and master configs in
    there. The stubbed out defaults are also available here:
    https://github.com/saltstack/salt/tree/develop/conf

    --
    Colton Myers